× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connections are intermittent on RAX80

Big-Rich
Tutor

Connections are intermittent on RAX80

I have replaced a camera which is less than 75 feet from my RAX80 router, thinking it was bad. I have also noticed that another camera is occasionally intermittently not connecting. They always connect eventually but sometimes it takes an hour or so. Most of the time the connection capability is restored within a few minutes or attempts. I have also seen occasions when it will eventually connect after failing but before the connection times out. Time out takes about a minute.

The router states that it is "for larger homes". My house is a ranch and it is 72 feet end to end. I have locked down all cameras so they always connect at 2.4G and get the same IP address via MAC assignment. The cameras are only capable of 2.4G and I noticed I was having a lot more connection issues when using the router's "Smart Connect" feature so that feature is deselected.

I have between 12 and 14 devices using the router but rarely more than 3 or 4 at a time. Three of the connections are RJ45 100% of the time so there are never more than 11 wireless connections at any given time and 9 of them are 2.4G.

Is there something wrong with my router? If so, how can I test it for this type of problem?

The router is advertised to have 8 stream capability but I don't know how to tell if that technology is working or not. Is there a diagnostic which shows the separate devices and their bandwidth on the stream?

I don't want to, but I briefly considered a repeater. I assume that a repeater would need to be special if it must differentiate between so many data streams, right? Otherwise adding one simply downgrades the wifi to a loaded single stream if I'm correct.

------------------------------------------------------

RAX80 Firmware Version V1.0.1.70_1.0.30

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Big-Rich
Tutor

Called tech support and they suggested doing a factory reset. I saved my configuration and did the factory reset and everything seems to be working much better. There are still a few slow connections and a rare but bareable Internet connection timeout but at least it's working.

I guess something got hosed during a power outage or something that reboots alone could not correct.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Big-Rich
Tutor

Called tech support and they suggested doing a factory reset. I saved my configuration and did the factory reset and everything seems to be working much better. There are still a few slow connections and a rare but bareable Internet connection timeout but at least it's working.

I guess something got hosed during a power outage or something that reboots alone could not correct.

Message 2 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Big-Rich, 

Thanks for getting back with an update on your issue. It may help others who may experience the same! 

Best regards,

Christian 

Message 3 of 5
GabboCH
Apprentice

It would be interesting if you still have no issues in a few days or so.

For many of the users in the forum, myself included, "Factory Reset" was a temporary solution and after a few hours/days the Wifi connection problems would return.

I had similar problems to you with devices that refused to reconnect & sometimes the complete 2.4G band would be blocked (although the 5G band was working with the same SSID).

I tried rebooting, new firmware & factory reset & in the end I gave up & put it back in the box.

Message 4 of 5
Big-Rich
Tutor

In reply to GabboCH,

There is nowhere to go with your situation since you "put it back in the box" but one other thing I did early in troubleshooting was turn off "Smart Connect" which made my situation worse in the beginning. IMHO for a mixed device network I don't think it's ready for prime time.

It has not been a long time since I suffered all the timeouts and disconnects but it has been 3 and a half days. I did the reset on Monday, just before noon.

I also have all my wifi devices assigned IP addresses by mac address so they don't get different assignments at times. This, and the fact that I saved the locked down configuration before doing the factory reset may have helped since I didn't need to do a lot of configuration editting after the reset, just restore the cfg file.

I know that you probably saved and restored the cfg in your situation too but I just wanted to mention it for others. If they still make routers like they used to, there is an area called "scratchpad" that is used to store the changes that you make before they are rewritten into the configuration of the machine and it sometimes gets corrupted and writes some left over garbage when saving the subsequent edit. IMHO, it's always best practice to get a clean scratchpad once you have finalized your configuration. Like many EEPROMs, it sometimes requires more than one erase cycle for some reason, unknown to me.

I have been retired for some time now so if one of the hardware gurus can elaborate or correct my assumptions and understandings please do.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7