× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I just bought a NightHawk AX8 cannot logon via my desktop

IamHandyAndy
Aspirant

I just bought a NightHawk AX8 cannot logon via my desktop

Hello Gang,

So the Nighthawk is in bridge mode behind my firewall/router.

I can log onto the admin interface from my iPhone but not from my wired desktop.

They are both using the same subnet, DHCP being supplied from my windows server.

The desktop and the NightHawk connect to the same switch which is behind the firewall mentioned above.

In the manual they talk about connecting via a wired connection yet when I try I receive the following message.

"You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again"

Anyone know the secret on how to login from wired desktop?

TIA,

HandyAndy

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@IamHandyAndy wrote:

I can log onto the admin interface from my iPhone but not from my wired desktop.

That's because your iPhone is connected to the AX8 wireless network, and the DNS queries are flowing over the AX8...

@IamHandyAndy wrote:

They are both using the same subnet, DHCP being supplied from my windows server.

The desktop and the NightHawk connect to the same switch which is behind the firewall mentioned above.

In the manual they talk about connecting via a wired connection ...

The manual does talk of the wireless or wired connection to the AX8.^, further on, it's written for a consumer set-up with just a router or just the AX8 in AP mode.

The routerlogin.net / routerlogin.com DNS queries are answered by the AX8 if the query does flow over this device. If the DNS query does go over your wired network, your WIndows Server DNS will do it's job and return the public IP of the fallback page.

@IamHandyAndy wrote:

No secret at all.

As you have everything in your environment to make it right, I suggest to set-up a MAC-IP reservation in the DHCP server, make use of your local DNS server, and define a hostname which does resolve to the AX8 IP address.  Alternate, just use the AX8 IP address in the Web browser.

This is named network management 8-) 

Message 2 of 8

@IamHandyAndy wrote:

As well as any other suggestions, when you approach a new network in Windows check this:

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

By default Windows sees new networks as Public and that can block some traffic.

Message 3 of 8
IamHandyAndy
Aspirant

Yes I should have mentioned that I had set the reservation for it in DHCP

No secret at all.

As you have everything in your environment to make it right, I suggest to set-up a MAC-IP reservation in the DHCP server, make use of your local DNS server, and define a hostname which does resolve to the AX8 IP address.  Alternate, just use the AX8 IP address in the Web browser.

This is named network management 8-) 

Message 4 of 8
IamHandyAndy
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IamHandyAndy wrote:

As well as any other suggestions, when you approach a new network in Windows check this:

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

By default Windows sees new networks as Public and that can block some traffic.

It is actually a domain network which is private by default.

Message 5 of 8
IamHandyAndy
Aspirant

YA I was finally able to logon using the routers ip address. Never did get routerlogin.net to work.

Thankx for all the replies!

HandyAndy

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

For the records: The routerlogin.net and ruterlogin.com (and similar URLs for other NEtgear products) can work only if the DNS query does pass the device, here the AX8 - the computer/device must be connected to the device wieless or to a LAN port on the device. These special URLs don't work form other systems on the network.

Message 7 of 8
IamHandyAndy
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

For the records: The routerlogin.net and ruterlogin.com (and similar URLs for other NEtgear products) can work only if the DNS query does pass the device, here the AX8 - the computer/device must be connected to the device wieless or to a LAN port on the device. These special URLs don't work form other systems on the network.

Thank You Very Much , based on that info I stuck an A record for it in my dns server and now the world is right again :>)

HandyAndy

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series