× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to transfer files from connected USB drive wirelessly to my android?

illiad
Tutor

Is it possible to transfer files from connected USB drive wirelessly to my android?

I have seen many post about using a Netgear router as a simple way to connect SSD storage.

eg https://dongknows.com/turning-wi-fi-router-usb-port-into-a-nas-server/

(this is a 2 year old post, so too old??)

there is an app for android called 'airdroid'  that makes it possible using a web browser, but I would like to be able to transfer files to and from the USB connected to the router,  so not needing to switch on my computer! 🙂 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Is it possible to transfer files from connected USB drive wirelessly to my android?

You should be able to do this. I routinely transfer files from my phone to my nas. Its as simply as moving them using whatever app you choose on your phone to the hard drive. the phone should be able to see it as a network drive. 

Message 2 of 6
illiad
Tutor

Re: Is it possible to transfer files from connected USB drive wirelessly to my android?

** to clarify ***

I DO NOT HAVE A NAS...

I have a HDD, inside a case, powered externally. Please search the 'startech' website for s351bu313

this is connected to the Nighthawk RAX50 using the supplied USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable.

please  check my question 🙂

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I understand you don't have a nas. 

Attaching the hard drive to the router makes a simple networked folder/drive. Same thing as a basic nas. (nas=network attached storage)

Concept is really similar. I usually use ES file explorer or File manager and then just add the networked drive in its settings. 

Message 4 of 6
illiad
Tutor

Thanks for understanding! 🙂  there are other websites that say it is not a 'real nas '  , that is why... 🙂

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Its all depending on how you think of a NAS. The hard drive connected to a router is considered the "poor man's" nas for many. 

But it does work. and for those just doing basic things, it works well. But if you're needing more speed/performance/automation, then looking to a dedicated NAS is a good option. I used the hard drive connected to my router for a quite a while before I wanted more capabilities and built a home server to handle it. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7