× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My wifi is slower after upgrading to 800mbps through Xfinity

einchewon
Follower

My wifi is slower after upgrading to 800mbps through Xfinity

We recently upgraded our service from 400 mbps to 800 mbps yesterday. We are are currently using a Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and a NETGEAR Nighthawk AX5400 as our setup. The built in speed test on the Nighthawk app says the speeds are 800mbps but my phone and desktop is showing less than 300mbps for two days now. Even when I'm in the same room as my modem and router it records speeds under 300mbps

I didn't have this problem before. I would get 400mbps for both of my devices when our plan was 400mbps. Now since we've upgraded, it is stuck below 300mbps. I've tried checking for extra devices and it's still my desktop and phone. I have unplugged/plugged back in both my router and I'm connected on the 5GHz network.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot and fix this problem?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 2

Re: My wifi is slower after upgrading to 800mbps through Xfinity

@einchewon wrote:

We recently upgraded our service from 400 mbps to 800 mbps yesterday. We are are currently using a Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem and a NETGEAR Nighthawk AX5400 as our setup.

Which Nighthawk AX5400?

AX5400 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number. RAX50? RAX850? XR1000?

The built in speed test on the Nighthawk app says the speeds are 800mbps but my phone and desktop is showing less than 300mbps for two days now.

If the unnamed phone is on wifi, it sets the speed of the connection. That is not down to the router's output. Many wifi clients won't go faster than 300 Mbps and next to none will get anywhere near 800 Mbps.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

When you set up your new network, did you reset the devices so that they forget any settings inherited from your slower Internet service?

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7