× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AX12 RAX120 as Access Point

MSPSRMS
Aspirant

Netgear AX12 RAX120 as Access Point

I replaced the RAX120 with a R700RS router and in the past had run a Amped Wireless AC2600 wireless extender to reach the outer limits of my structure.  The amped device was configured with different SSIDs from the router. Having a CAT7 cable and a GS108Ev3 in a good location, I replaced the extender with the RAX120 and used new SSIDs for that network segment.  I first configured it by using the WAN port as described in the user manual.  Having 1.4 gig Comcast, I could only attain 630 mbs download using Ookla Speedtest on repeated tests over a couple days.  Reading an old (2016) topic in this forum named "WAN or LAN Port for Access Point", I employed what was described as an old school method.  Use router mode instead of access point, shut off DHCP, enter new IP address in the LAN page, and use a LAN port, and reboot the RAX120.  I also rebooted the R700RS.  Running the Ookla Speedtest again, I am now getting 840-850 consistenly.  This is about as good as I can expect with gigabit switches between the devices.  The point I am making is that the old school method is much more efficient and as I understand it when the WAN port is used, hardware acceleration is disabled?  I hope this information is useful for anyone intending to re-purpose a Netgear router.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear AX12 RAX120 as Access Point

If you can get the switch into a multi gig switch and set the RAX for AP mode and connect it up using the multi gig port on the RAX, could see higher speeds over wifi:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

I would be sure to set the RS and RAX Wi-Fi channels to far apart channels to lower any Wi-Fi interferences from each other. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get the switch into a multi gig switch and set the RAX for AP mode and connect it up using the multi gig port on the RAX, could see higher speeds over wifi:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

I would be sure to set the RS and RAX Wi-Fi channels to far apart channels to lower any Wi-Fi interferences from each other. 

Message 2 of 4
MSPSRMS
Aspirant

Good morning FURRYe38 and thanks for the tip.  I returned the RAX120 to factory defaults and reconfigured the wireless parameters and set it to AP mode. I did employ static IP to make it easy to access the UI.  Using the CAT7 cable, I connected the RAX120 5 gig port directly to the RS700 10 gig port. Rebooted the RS700 and all is well.  My laptop connects to the RAX120 wireless network at 1201/1201 Mbps. The speeds still max around 830 Mbps and generally land in the mid 700 Mbps, but it appears real stable and what I would call real snappy in response to internet queries. The latency both up and down appear to have improved as well.   I have a Apple TV4 connected to the GS108Ev3 and in running the Speedtest app consistently pulling 940 Mbps.  This switch is connected now via a gigabit port on the RAX120. I intend to eliminate the switch at this location and wire the devices there directly to the RAX120

So this is a great solution so thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series