× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New router requires smart phone! I don't have one!

LizzaJones
Tutor

New router requires smart phone! I don't have one!

The model above won't take my router which is:

Nighthawk AX5400 WIFI 6 (RAX50)

I am not tech saavy but I have researched for days now. I hope someone will help me understand what is wrong.  Bought new router listed in Model above.  I plug in the modem, wait two minutes, plug in this router and wait two minutes and then ...

Go to my MacBook Pro rMBP13 laptop (Big Sur) and open network and I do not see it.  Brand new unopened box but there are NO instructions inside - only a card which doesn't help me at all.  It says to use a smart phone to access software to configure the router.  Oh good grief.

I thought I knew how to use Chrome to type the router default gateway so I type 10.0.0.1 like the old.  It asks for user and password.  The router itself has 3 pt font saying 'admin' and 'password' and then in larger letters to the right, it has ANOTHER password.

I have no manual and I do not own a smart phone.  How am I going to get this done without a smart phone?  I've tried 'admin' and 'password'.  I've tried 'admin' and the larger different password on the router.  I can't afford to buy a smart phone just to get this router set up.  My Mac doesn't have a ethernet so I can't plug a cable directly from it to the router.

All the YouTube videos I've watched shows Windows and typing ipconfig and nothing I've been watching helps me at all.  I've tried searching for this 'netgear' software' I'm supposed to use and can't find it.  Thank you for reading my predicament.   I know you all volunteer your time and I appreciate anyone willing to help me.  🙂

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: New router requires smart phone! I don't have one!

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Have you tried going to http://routerlogin.net ?

Message 2 of 6
LizzaJones
Tutor

Thank you!  I see I can download the Netgear app from there - it wasn't on the App Store.  Still, this tells had to use the app but it means i must be connected to the internet first.  OR it says use chrome etc, but again ... I must be connected to the internet and I can't do that if my wi-fi isn't working so I can't connect to the router.

I swear - I feel so utterly stupid.  I feel like I'm being told to buy a horse to pull my cart and use that horse to go into town to buy the horse.  I HAVE NO HORSE.

I'm looking now for an adapter to buy which hopefully allows a ethernet cable from the router to my laptop.  I refuse to buy a smart phone.  I'm 78 years old and on social security and can't afford medicine much less buy a smart phone.

I shall go read all the links you've provided.  Thank you so very much for taking your time to provide them to me.  :-). This world of tech feels like walking around totally blind.  Remember, I was raised when the newest contraption was the princess phone, LOL.  Have a wonderful week!

Message 3 of 6
LizzaJones
Tutor

Oh, by the way - I'll set your response as solving it because I suppose to most normal folks under 60, it WOULD be a perfect answer.  It all makes me so very tired just researching this stuff.  I just want to connect for my husband and myself and my daughter who lives here.  

My husband and daughter knows less about tech than I do.  The old router was Netflix also but it was mfg in 2012 and it says it can't be updated any more.  I plugged it back in to use it now and have put the new one in its box ... possibly heading back as a return.

So what if the old one blips and caughs and cuts me off all the time.  Compared to this issue, it seems mild now, ROFLMAO!  Blessings!

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. On the page where it says "install the app", at the bottom of the page, there should be a link you can click on that says something along the lines of "i don't have a smart phone" or something like that. Click on that. that'll get you to the start page for install. Keep in mind, after you first enter the default admin/password info, it'll make you change the default password right at the start. 

2. If your router is giving you a default ip address of 10.0.0.1, then whatever you're plugging it into isn't a simple modem. Its usually a modem/router device and can cause a double nat. So what actual modem/gateway are you connecting the router to? 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Also, if you are having issues, on new purchases you have 90 days of free support. 

Don't google for a phone number or you get scam/con sites. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7