× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX6 AX4300 as a WIFI extender for Bell Giga Hub

woodland
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX6 AX4300 as a WIFI extender for Bell Giga Hub

Internet Provider  / Equipment:

• Provider: Bell
  • Installation Type: Fiber
  • Provider Equipment = Sagemcom Giga Hub 5689E

My Equipment:

• Nighthawk AX6 AX4300 6-Stream WIFI Router 

Configuration Question:

I would like to extend the WIFI network I have configured on the Bell Giga Hub. I have a large home and the Giga hub had to be installed in the garage resulting in it being far from certain areas of the home.  I would like to use the AX6 AX4300 to extend the WIFI network.

Note:  I have multiple Cat5e & Cat 6 cable drops through the home that terminates in the garage next to the Giga Hub

Can someone provide instructions on how to configure the AX6 AX4300 to extend my existing WIFI network?

Can I use the Ethernet cables to further position the AX4300 away from the Giga Hub.

Thanks in-advance'

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX6 AX4300 as a WIFI extender for Bell Goga Hub

What RAX### model number is this router?

Try AP mode on the RAX series router:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 2 of 8
woodland
Aspirant

The Router is classified as an RX45

Message 3 of 8

@woodland wrote:

The Router is classified as an RX45

That would be the RAX45, which you tagged in your first message.

You can use the RAX45 as an access point.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That does lose some of the functions on the RAX:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But your main router should handle those things.

If you have Ethernet throughout the place, try the RAX in various places to see which gives you the best coverage. Somewhere between the main router and most remote bit of the property is probably best. But if the area really is big, your two sources may not be powerful enough to flood the place with WiFi.

Just another user with time on their hands.

Message 4 of 8
woodland
Aspirant

Thanks for the information and links

I reconfigured my device as an access point.  When I connect to the Bell App I can see that the NightHawk is connected with an IP of 192.168.2.43

Is there anyway for me to determine if the Access point is working.  In other words is there a way I can tell if any wireless devices are using the access point or connecting via a different further way Access point.

When I look at the network using the Bell app, I only see the Gigahub and one pod.  I am assuming the app only has the ability to show bell connected devices.

Thanks Again

Message 5 of 8

@woodland wrote:

I reconfigured my device as an access point.  When I connect to the Bell App I can see that the NightHawk is connected with an IP of 192.168.2.43

What is the IP of the router?

What is the "Bell App"? I have no idea how that works.

The Netgear router would usually go for 192.168.1.1. That's a different network from 192.168.2.X

Message 6 of 8
woodland
Aspirant

Hi - I thought I replied this morning but can't see it so if it shows up twice - apologies.

I have a Netgear RAX45 and a Bell Giga HUB router (supplied by Bell Alliant)

The admin access for the RAX prior to configuring it as an access point was 192.168.1.1

The admin access for the Giga hub is 192.168.2.1

After changing the RAX45 to be used as an access point and letting it dynamically assign an IP address, it rebooted and I connected it via ethernet cable directly to the Giga hub.  

After connecting to the reboot and cabling it to the Giga hub the IP of the RAX changed from 192.168.2.46 as now it is physically connected to the Giga Hub and has an IP from the Giga hub network (192.168.2.1) assigned to it.

I only changed the RAX45 to be an access point.  I did not change any WIFI settings.  These are still set to Netgear71 (default).

Please let me know if I was suppose to change any other settings to ensure it is running as an access point.  Also any advice on how I can tell if it is being used as an access point (which devices are using it) would be great.

Message 7 of 8

@woodland wrote:

After connecting to the reboot and cabling it to the Giga hub the IP of the RAX changed from 192.168.2.46 as now it is physically connected to the Giga Hub and has an IP from the Giga hub network (192.168.2.1) assigned to it.

That is as expected. Both devices are now on the same local network, 192.168.2.X.

I only changed the RAX45 to be an access point.  I did not change any WIFI settings.  These are still set to Netgear71 (default).

Please let me know if I was suppose to change any other settings to ensure it is running as an access point.  Also any advice on how I can tell if it is being used as an access point (which devices are using it) would be great.

Just use it and see what happens. It sounds like the RAX45 is in AP mode. You should now be able to go into 192.168.2.46 with a web browser. Then you can change that Netgear71 and the associated password to whatever you like.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series