× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX8 AX6600 Rax70 - Hardware Replacement Request

Nighthawk AX8 AX6600 Rax70 - Hardware Replacement Request

I want to request a hardware replacement of Nighthawk AX8 AX6600 Rax70 through MyNETGEAR but for some reasons, it gives me an error as "Something went wrong. Please try again." and I haven't been able to send the request(tried 2 days). Is there anyway I can send the request?

The warranty is still good( almost 250 days remaining).

Tech Support - Expired

Actually, the reason I want to replace the router is as following so if anyone can advise me what I can try before the replacement request, I'm happy to try it. 

Symptom:

- Internet connection through WiFi became inconsistent all of sudden while the internet status on the router/modem says good.

- I can access to local network devices(wired) from WiFi devices even when I can't use the internet.

- All wired devices work fine (I can use internet from wired devices while I can't from WiFi devices ).

- No network settings have been changed prior to this symptom. 

- # of devices connected to the router 20 to 30.

- It's been like this for more than a week.

- Internet: Spectrum  IPv4/IPv6

- Modem: CM700

Thank you

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@A_GearNetUser wrote:

I thank you for your help and I'm not trying to attack you at all but things are so confusing. As far as I know, a fine router should work with DNS provided by ISP so it's not like I try not to solve the problem.  If using a public DNS is what I'm required to use when using a router(any routers in general), I would use it though but I don't think so. ----If ISP servers were amazing and never had issues, I wouldn't recommend trying a different dns. but there's many times the ISP dns servers don't work and a public one will. I'm not saying thats the cases for you but its worth trying. Try changing the IPv4 address. And if you use IPV6, change that one as well. See what happens. Worst case you go back to the ISP's. Best cases it works and actually performs better. 

Like I said, my original question was if there is anyway I can use the hardware replacement warranty as MyNetgear website gives me an error when submitting the request but did you mean I had to process the hardware replacement request under 1 year warranty within 90 days of free tech support period? or I have to pay for the extra tech support to process the 1 year warranty? hmmm...----You're caught in a catch-22 of netgear support. (we're not a fan of it either). What that is is that you only have 90 days of free support. But a 1 year warranty. And between that 90-365 days, its on the user to prove its a hardware failure and not a settings issue. usually when you call and if the router turns on and has a signal, its considered working and for further diagnostics, you have to pay the support charge. If it turns out that after paying the charge and proving its a hardware issue, they'll refund you (ask up front). But if during the process of support, it works fine, then it costs you the money. 

So its worth it on your side to do some trouble shooting. That includes trying different dns servers. Trying different firmwares. Trying different changes like ssid/passwords/channels. Or you can gamble and call support. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router? 

What fixes the issue? A simple reboot? A factory resets? 

Are you using smart connect? 

I know you put ipv4/ipv6 but is ipv6 enabled?

Message 2 of 9

Thank you for the immediate response.

The Firmware Version is V1.0.11.112.

IPv6 is enabled and this symptom happens when it's on and off.

I have tried Reboot/Reset.

Thank you

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

have you tried using a different dns provider for both ipv4 and ipv6?

Message 4 of 9

Nope. I get them automatically from ISP.
I prefer not to change them.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Problem with not trying things is that if you try to start and RMA outside of the 90 day window, you end up having to pay for support to prove the device is actually defective. And if you're not willing to try fixes, they're not going to RMA it. 

Message 6 of 9

I thank you for your help and I'm not trying to attack you at all but things are so confusing. As far as I know, a fine router should work with DNS provided by ISP so it's not like I try not to solve the problem.  If using a public DNS is what I'm required to use when using a router(any routers in general), I would use it though but I don't think so. 

Like I said, my original question was if there is anyway I can use the hardware replacement warranty as MyNetgear website gives me an error when submitting the request but did you mean I had to process the hardware replacement request under 1 year warranty within 90 days of free tech support period? or I have to pay for the extra tech support to process the 1 year warranty? hmmm...

Thank you

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@A_GearNetUser wrote:

I thank you for your help and I'm not trying to attack you at all but things are so confusing. As far as I know, a fine router should work with DNS provided by ISP so it's not like I try not to solve the problem.  If using a public DNS is what I'm required to use when using a router(any routers in general), I would use it though but I don't think so. ----If ISP servers were amazing and never had issues, I wouldn't recommend trying a different dns. but there's many times the ISP dns servers don't work and a public one will. I'm not saying thats the cases for you but its worth trying. Try changing the IPv4 address. And if you use IPV6, change that one as well. See what happens. Worst case you go back to the ISP's. Best cases it works and actually performs better. 

Like I said, my original question was if there is anyway I can use the hardware replacement warranty as MyNetgear website gives me an error when submitting the request but did you mean I had to process the hardware replacement request under 1 year warranty within 90 days of free tech support period? or I have to pay for the extra tech support to process the 1 year warranty? hmmm...----You're caught in a catch-22 of netgear support. (we're not a fan of it either). What that is is that you only have 90 days of free support. But a 1 year warranty. And between that 90-365 days, its on the user to prove its a hardware failure and not a settings issue. usually when you call and if the router turns on and has a signal, its considered working and for further diagnostics, you have to pay the support charge. If it turns out that after paying the charge and proving its a hardware issue, they'll refund you (ask up front). But if during the process of support, it works fine, then it costs you the money. 

So its worth it on your side to do some trouble shooting. That includes trying different dns servers. Trying different firmwares. Trying different changes like ssid/passwords/channels. Or you can gamble and call support. 

Thank you

Message 8 of 9

Thank you. The router is actually for my family where I can't access easily so I wanted to keep the router setting minimal and I got this router for two remote locations 4 months ago because old routers R8000P started to show DNS error.. but that's my own thing. As far as I investigated the configuration and tested the router several times, it seems like the DNS issue like you said and it happened when accessing from wireless devices.

When testing a public DNS(google for both IPv4/IPv6), the internet access from the wireless devices was improved but I found there was noticable delay of loading a website from a wired device depending on a website I was looking at that didn't happen with auto assigned DNS. I'm just reporting what just happened here so I have no idea why.

It seems like the problem is most likely a software issue so I assume the hardware replacement won't do anything.

Anyways, if the router acts like this for the minimal usage (no special setting but just internet connection) with Spectrum, the major ISP in the US, I guess it was my bad decision to go with this model and knowing how NetGear customer support works now, I'll just give up doing anything further.

Thank you for taking your time on my case.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7