× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R6700AX - How to set static IP on VirtualBox VM

mmcap
Tutor

Nighthawk R6700AX - How to set static IP on VirtualBox VM

Hi all,

My Nighthawk R6700AX router refuses to grant access to my virtual machine. It is a Linux guest machine running on a Windows 11 host machine. I have configured the the guest machine with a bridged network adapter so the router should treat it the same as any other PC trying to connect the network. First of all the router IP is 192.168.1.1, I want a static IP on the VM so I set the IPv4 to 192.168.1.115, Netmask to 255.255.255.0, Gateway to 192.168.1.1, and DNS to 1.1.1.1. My host machine has internet but is not able to ping the guest VM which tells me the VM is not connected to the router.

Any thoughts on how to get the VM connected to the router so the host and guest machines can talk an the guest machine can access the internet?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact the mfr of Virtual Box VM about regarding there product. 

@mmcap wrote:

Hi all,

My Nighthawk R6700AX router refuses to grant access to my virtual machine. It is a Linux guest machine running on a Windows 11 host machine. I have configured the the guest machine with a bridged network adapter so the router should treat it the same as any other PC trying to connect the network. First of all the router IP is 192.168.1.1, I want a static IP on the VM so I set the IPv4 to 192.168.1.115, Netmask to 255.255.255.0, Gateway to 192.168.1.1, and DNS to 1.1.1.1. My host machine has internet but is not able to ping the guest VM which tells me the VM is not connected to the router.

Any thoughts on how to get the VM connected to the router so the host and guest machines can talk an the guest machine can access the internet?

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @JosephPujol for the philosophical support, great having you back, at least for.a while!

For @mmcap it would make sense to check if the VM defined correctly mapped (abd bridged) to the active host network adapter.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The Virtual Box VM is a well documented non-commercial Open Source Project. It does come with it's own community to help inexperienced users. 

Something must be wrong wit the Virtual Vox VM config and it's bridging config to the host adapter. However, this isn't a Netgear thing.

Message 4 of 8
mmcap
Tutor

Thank you for the advice. I reserved my desired IP in the router to keep DHCP from assigning it to another host. Then I set that IP as a static IP in the VM. The VM connects to the internet and I am able to ping the VM from my host machine now. Problem solved.

Thanks again.

Norm

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Heya Norm,

Just curious, wouldn't it be wise to reserve the VM MAC address on the DHCP server for the intended application and the required IP address on the LAN, instead of yet another host? One could always deploy a static IP on top of this.

Glad to hear you figured a workable solution for your use case!

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 6 of 8
mmcap
Tutor

Hi Kurt,

I don't have a lot of experience at this so I'm not sure about your suggestion.

It's my understanding that the router is my DHCP server and I didn't see a way to reserve a MAC address in the router, just the IP.

What would be the advantage to your suggestion since the VM and router are working together now?

Thank you for taking an interest in this situation.

Norm

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@mmcap wrote:

It's my understanding that the router is my DHCP server and I didn't see a way to reserve a MAC address in the router, just the IP.

On the router DHCP server, you maintain a table with the IP address <-> the MAC address. Instead of putting in a random MAC and IP, I'd suggest to define the effective MAC for the VM. This would allow leaving the hosted VM on DHCP instead of putting in a static IP address. Be careful, don't destroy anything now where you have it working, with a static IP tough.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series