× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 not retaining SSID after reboot

AGNG2020
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX45 not retaining SSID after reboot

Hi everyone - I've had this router for 4 yrs, and need to change SSID. The router takes the SSID and password change fine and works as long as you don't reboot or cycle power. Once you reboot or cycle power, the SSID and password and all other settings go back to the previous setting. Even if I restonre a backup with the updated SSID, the settings go back after a reboot.

Any ideas? I have tried downgrading the firmware to the oldest version (current using the most updated) without success. Would be disapointed if this can't be resolved as I wasn't looking to buy a new one.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
AGNG2020
Tutor

The factory reset  "witchcraft" did the trick!... was actually able to use a CFG backup  that I created right  before it, and magic!..  all worked  again and SSID stays after  reboots.  Thank you much @michaelkenward and @mlm44 !

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

The usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems.

This explains some of the drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Just another user with time on their hands.

Message 2 of 7
mlm44
Star

I would try a factory reset and then manually reconfigure it with the new SSID. Don't use the backup.

Message 3 of 7
AGNG2020
Tutor

Hi there, these are some more details of the router. I don't have any connectivity issues and everything works well. The only trouble is that if I lose power, the router goes back to a preview setting (including old SSID and password). I have to thing there is non-volatile memory on this things and maybe they're failing?... Not the expert 😉 so looking for suggestions. Thanks! 

Hardware Version: RAX45
Firmware Version: V1.0.16.132_2.0.92
GUI Language Version: V1.0.16.132_2.1.46.1
Protection Engine Version: 2.2.193/1.0.0.2009
Operation Mode: Router
CPU Load: CPU1: 3.44% CPU2: 3.73% CPU3: 0.15%
Memory Usage(Used/Total): 370MB/497MB
Flash Usage(Used/Total): 118.33MB/256.00MB

Message 4 of 7

Have you tried the suggestion from @mlm44?

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front. It is also the first thing that Netgear support will recommend.

Just another user with time on their hands.

Message 5 of 7
AGNG2020
Tutor

I did try disconnecting the router uplink to the modem, changing the SSID, cycling power, and had the same result: SSID went back to the old one :(.... I will need to try the "factory reset" suggestion with the button on the back of the unit. Will need to wait for the weekend to make sure I have a backup plan if something goes wrong. Thank you for the suggestions and will let you know.

Message 6 of 7
AGNG2020
Tutor

The factory reset  "witchcraft" did the trick!... was actually able to use a CFG backup  that I created right  before it, and magic!..  all worked  again and SSID stays after  reboots.  Thank you much @michaelkenward and @mlm44 !

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series