× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX50: Problem connecting a smart device

OmarValenzuela
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX50: Problem connecting a smart device

I have a smart device for my garage door opener. It works with wifi, so I tried to register this smart device to the wifi (I use the nighthawk RAX50 router) and is not connecting, it always times out. I have other routers also and I can connect this smart device to them with no problem. Im just not able to connect it to the Nighthawk RAX50 router, so im asking if you have any idea of why the smart controller doesn't work in this specific router, if there is any security feature or something that might not let this smart device connect to it.

The smart device works with 2.4GHz network. 

I have Disabled AX and im using a WPA2-Personal[AES] as security.

If anyone knows what could be going on, please let me know.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX50: Problem connecting a smart device

What band is the phone connected to when you try to set it up? 

What modem is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 12
OmarValenzuela
Aspirant

The phone is also connected to the 2.4GHz band, my internet provider is Wide Open West (WOW)

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

But what modem/gateway is the router connected to from WOW

Message 4 of 12
OmarValenzuela
Aspirant

Its a Netgear cm1000v2

Message 5 of 12

@OmarValenzuela wrote:

Its a Netgear cm1000v2

Standard cable modem. No router in there to complicate things.

What is this smart device? Have you asked the maker for help?

Too many makers of IoT stuff don't seem to understand how the Internet works.

Message 6 of 12
LordJohnWorfin
Aspirant

How many devices are currently connected? You may be reaching the limit of supported devices, that happened to me with a lot of WiFi and IoT gadgets. One way to find out if this is the problem is by trying to add a different device (like a friend's phone for instance). If it fails mysteriously to join your WiFi, that's the problem (you actually made things worse by turning 5G off and forcing all the devices to connect over 2.4GHz, increasing the number of devices 2.4GHz has to manage)

You can mitigate the problem by turning off "smart mode" which combines 2.4 and 5GHz under the same SSID, giving your 5GHz network a different name and connecting all your 5GHz-capable devices to it (computers, tablets, TV boxes, etc...) instead of the "legacy" 2.4GHz WiFi.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Is IPv6 enabled? 

Any VPN's in use? 
if you're on apple devices, make sure icloud relay and private mac/ip address features are disabled

Message 8 of 12
Razor512
Prodigy

While a long shot, is your WiFi password for the RAX50 exactly 32 characters long?

While an uncommon issue, I have seen some more white label IOT devices have WiFi issues where they would not authenticate when the password was exactly 32 characters long, where other lengths would work fine, though in the cases I saw it, they were all generic cameras, where many companies were likely using the same SOC and firmware, and ended up sharing the same bug.

Beyond that, you can experiment with the MU-MIMO setting on and off,

Message 9 of 12
OmarValenzuela
Aspirant

Is a smart device for garage door openers. 

I have contacted the makers. We tried to connect it in different ways. 

We disabled Smart Connect and connect it only to the 2.4GHz network, I was told that this device works only with WPA2 Security so I changed it to WPA2 and still didn't worked. 

The only way I got it to work was connecting it to a different router, that's why I was thinking that it was the router, not that is effective or something, but maybe something that is not allowing the connection between this smart device and the router.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try on the RAX router, disable WiFi security temporarily. Set no WPA anything. See if your IoT device will connect in the OPEN to the router. After testing Re-enable WPA2. 

Might try setting manual channel on 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 or 11 as well.

Might check into setting 20/40Mhz channel width or 40Mhz only.

See if any Beamforming, MIMO or any other advanced wireless features may change the behavior. 

Do other IoT devices connect to the RAX router normally with WPA2 enabled?

Message 11 of 12

@OmarValenzuela wrote:

Is a smart device for garage door openers. 

Does it have a make and model?

Let us into the secret and someone here may have tried to get it to work in the past.

We disabled Smart Connect and connect it only to the 2.4GHz network, I was told that this device works only with WPA2 Security so I changed it to WPA2 and still didn't worked. 

That shows that the maker doesn't understand how things work.

If you are using a mobile phone to set up the connection, then it is the phone that needs a 2.4 Hz connection. (It should have to, but many widget makers are incapable of writing decent software that avoids that problem.) The garage widget won't connect to 5 GHz if it is not designed to do so.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7