× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Private Network Name Service

sutphinwb
Aspirant

Private Network Name Service

I have four Windows 10 computers in my house connected to the RAX200 and an EAX80.  I should be able to browse the "Network" node of File explorer and see these systems but they do not show up.  Well sometimes, but it is moody at best.  I can get to the systems by typing in an IP (ex.  \\198.164.1.12) but that isn't going to fly for my less techy family members.  We want to share files, remote desktop, etc. (all of which are separate problems).  For now I just want the computers to show up to be browsable.

Why is this a problem?  BTW I'd be more than willing to abandon my huge investment in Netgear if someone could point me at a better mesh system for metal studs and concrete walls that also handles WINS or whatever the heck I need to get a local private network to function as it should IMHO.

Given I can do what I need via the IP tells be the problem is not Windows permissions or some weird file and print sharing setting in Windows.  I've got most set to off during this period of implentation.

TIA

Bill

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Private Network Name Service

Something to contact MS support about regarding there sharing and accessibility between Windows PCs. 

Id make sure all PCs are using same workgroup name as well.

Message 2 of 4

@sutphinwb wrote:

I have four Windows 10 computers in my house connected to the RAX200 and an EAX80.  I should be able to browse the "Network" node of File explorer and see these systems but they do not show up. 

Windows is flakey when it comes to remembering network locations. They come and go.

I find that I can access these lost network nodes if I approach them with a "shortcut".

Something like \\NSA320 for an NAS.

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

A couple of thoughts.  Are each of the Windows 10 systems configured so the network profile is private and so the machine is discoverable on the network?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7