× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX 120 Randomly blocking approved devices, and requiring re-enter of wifi password

jd120
Follower

RAX 120 Randomly blocking approved devices, and requiring re-enter of wifi password

My AX 12 RAX 120 with firmware level 1.0.2.136 exhibits two failing behaviors that. Note that both failing behaviors existed similarly with earlier firmware levels. I use whitelist management for the mac addresses of the devices allowed on my network, and have Block All New Deices as my default setting. Note the failures described below are serious issues, but when functioning, this is the best wifi router I have ever owned. 

Frist, from time to time, after working without constraint for days or weeks, devices will not be able to connect to the internet. When I check the admin console, those devices have changed to BLOCKED status. This is without any action on my part. When I go back into the admin console and re-allow them, they start to work fine, usually for weeks, but sometimes (rarely) only for a couple hours or days. Perhaps related to this, often when I log into the console I see 1-2 devices with BLOCKED status, but I am in fact fully able to use those devices to access the internet. I have seen multiple similar reports, but not resolutions. I have moniotred the logs when observing this behavior. There are no records indicating devices being disconnected or blocked, but I do always see the DHCP records when the devices successfully reconnect. 

Second, from time to time, devices running MacOS (three differnet devices) and devices running iOS (three different devices) will fail to login with the error that the password they use is incorrect. The logs show that the devices have tried to connect with the wrong password. Often, disabling the wifi on those devices, then reenabling wifi resolves the issue. This never happened with any of my wifi devices or routers prior to my nighthawk. It happens with different of levels of OS on the impacted devices. 

(In another life I built software and firmware for network devices, and was a network admin, so am quite familiar with all the basics of confirming connectivity and address acquisition etc. and I've tried to investigate all the obvious stuff.) 

Guidance please. Devices being randomly blocked during business zoom sessions, or when taking timed skill exams, is a serious issue.

Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX 120 Randomly blocking approved devices, and requiring re-enter of wifi password

Hello jd120,

Welcome to the community! May you update to the latest firmware version linked below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062689/RAX120-Firmware-Version-1-2-0-16

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7