× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 on Firmware 1.2.9.52 keeps freezing every other day

sjbhh
Apprentice

RAX120 on Firmware 1.2.9.52 keeps freezing every other day

Since updating to 1.2.9.52 the RAX120 freezes on a regular basis every few days. 

If that happens no connection whatsoever to the router is possible. The app does not find it and nor Windows or MacOS is able to connect. If you try to connect to the Wifi Network it says 'Password incorrect'.

Remote connection does not work either. 

Each time this happens I have to physically go to the router and restart it. This is really annoying. 

I have reset the router to factory settings. It has not made any changes whatsoever. 

Any idea what might cause this or solution for it ?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats ok to. Up to you if you want to give feedback or not. Your stutf. Just trying to help out here and see if we can narrow down the issue. I put mine online:

Lots of uptime:

RAX120v2_12PlusDaysUptime_v.52ReleaseFW.png

I guess I might be best if you make contact with NG support and let them help you out. I'll not bother you any more.

This user foudn that a factory reset and setup from scratch and not enabling Armor solved his router hangs:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/I-m-getting-freezing/td-p/2357653/jump...

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies

@sjbhh wrote:

Since updating to 1.2.9.52 the RAX120 freezes on a regular basis every few days. 

If there is one, it might help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between this router and the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 10
sjbhh
Apprentice

No it is not a router. It is a Netgear CM1100 Modem sitting between the internet and the RAX120.

I do not see what this has to do with the freeze. If I had internet issues ok. But in my case the router freezes. 

It is not accessible anymore by anything. So it must be the RAX120 or do I not see something here ?

Message 3 of 10

@sjbhh wrote:

No it is not a router. It is a Netgear CM1100 Modem sitting between the internet and the RAX120.

I do not see what this has to do with the freeze.

You didn't tell us that in the first message. We needed to rule it out, hence the question.

You say you reset the router, I assume that this was the "pin in the back" reset rather than a simple reboot. (People sometimes confuse the two.) And that you did not restore settings from a backup. (That can revive bugs.)

You could confirm that it is software related, and maybe a bug in the new version, by reverting to the previous firmware.

How do I manually upgrade firmware on my Orbi router using orbilogin.com? - NETGEAR Support

Follow the instructions, but use a download of what went before.

You could also try a manual install of the new version, to rule out a glitch in the earlier update.

Message 4 of 10
sjbhh
Apprentice

Correct - it was the reset with the pin on the back and not a reboot/restart. 

Not restored from a backup - correct again.

I have a lot of configurations on that router e.g. Port Forwards and so on and try not to configure this again as it would take hours. There has to be another option. Happy to try a beta or so if that is available. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What all do you have connected to the router in total devices? 

Does the Internet LED turn AMBER when this happens? Or do WiFi LEDs turn AMBER when this happens? 

How is the RAX connected to the CM modem? Using the Yellow WAN port or the multi gig port? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Message 6 of 10
sjbhh
Apprentice

Hello - 

There are about 15 devices connected via Wifi and 2 devices via cable (LAN). 

The LEDS do seem normal - Multi-Gig is amber but that is amber most of the time. 

The modem is connected to the WAN port. 

Just to be clear - I bought this router in 2019 and it has worked fine in between. No changes made to LAN cables and so on. 

I have already tried to set different channels - that is not the issue. It is back to Auto now. 

Wifi Neighbours - about 20 I would guess. 

I am not able to send Modem Logs as I am on Xfinity and they have restricted Modem Access several month ago. 

It has been discussed here but there is no solution for that to my knowledge. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@sjbhh wrote:

Hello - 

There are about 15 devices connected via Wifi and 2 devices via cable (LAN). 

The LEDS do seem normal - Multi-Gig is amber but that is amber most of the time. 

What is connected to the MG port? 

The modem is connected to the WAN port. 

Just to be clear - I bought this router in 2019 and it has worked fine in between. No changes made to LAN cables and so on. 

I have already tried to set different channels - that is not the issue. It is back to Auto now. 

Wifi Neighbours - about 20 I would guess. 

What channels are these neighbors using? 

What channels did you test out? 

I am not able to send Modem Logs as I am on Xfinity and they have restricted Modem Access several month ago. What happens if you disconnect the modem from the ISP coax line then factory reset the modem, can you gain access to the modems web page then? The ISP should not be restricting modem access as the logs needs to be reviewed for possible problems here. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Use the ERASE button on the routers web page to factory reset the router:
https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 8 of 10
sjbhh
Apprentice

I might be wrong here but you can not be seriously asking to do all of this. 

I am not running Netgear Development Team. 

I am a user and if I spend north of USD 500,- on a router I think I can expect that to work or at least to have minimum support. Looks like I am wrong at least on that.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats ok to. Up to you if you want to give feedback or not. Your stutf. Just trying to help out here and see if we can narrow down the issue. I put mine online:

Lots of uptime:

RAX120v2_12PlusDaysUptime_v.52ReleaseFW.png

I guess I might be best if you make contact with NG support and let them help you out. I'll not bother you any more.

This user foudn that a factory reset and setup from scratch and not enabling Armor solved his router hangs:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/I-m-getting-freezing/td-p/2357653/jump...

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series