× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log

... and still no communication from Netgear regarding our V1's where we are now relegated to the original 1.0.3.64 firmware with reported security bugs and well-documented disfunctionality.  Nothing.  Nada.  How about "Updated firmware will be avaiilable on..." or maybe "We are aware of the issues and will..."?  Customer service??  You'll have to pay Netgear for that.  Good money after bad.

Message 276 of 390
Fila18
Tutor

I agree with you and for me this is the last time I buy a netgear product, I bought the rax40 249 euros and I cannot use it properly because of all these bugs! The worst part is paying for inefficient support! For me the only option is to bring my router back to where I bought it and try to make the warranty work ...

Message 277 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

https://kb.netgear.com/000062596/RAX40-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-88
Looks like v1.0.3.88 is out but with a very important omission-
Known Bugs
This firmware version does not support OFDMA, WPA3, and Smart Connect. If you wants to use these features, roll back the firmware to the last version V1.0.3.80.

That’s pathetic, Netgear....
Message 278 of 390
Fila18
Tutor

Smiley LOL

Message 279 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Oh and have you seen the change log for the RAX40v2 latest firmware? Holy crap. That’s probably why they completely gave up on us poor Chumps with our original v1....
https://kb.netgear.com/000062569/RAX40v2-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-72
Message 280 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Also I don’t know why they removed OFDMA, WPA3, and Smart Connect from the public release of .88 when my beta .83 still has them.
Message 281 of 390

Considering that the ghost moderators have deleted my comments which are decidedly critical of Netgear for releasing and ignoring the RAX40, I can only wish the rest of you good luck while you are run in circles. 

Message 282 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Yes Netgear are the worst. Rather than ghost removing peoples honest posts here regarding their horrible experiences, why not actually do something that will help your customers?

Oh wait, you’re way too corrupt to want to help. Not only do you charge for customer support after 90 days, but you go and make a grande new v2 of our defective router model and don’t mention anything or offer replacements for us.

Last Netgear product I’ll ever buy in my life.
Message 283 of 390
abelak
Guide

I've made a mistake buying this router. I'm glad it's working fine for now and thankfully I had the sense to save the last firmware file with a working config (with many of the features disabled). It took them 6 months to come up with a fix and then refer to a deleted firmware to revert to, if one wants some basic features.

The most troubling bit is the future support. I wonder if they are going to just stop security updates or take 6+ months to provide any security fixes. Will not be buying any netgear products again after watching this dumpster fire of a brand.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 284 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Beta 83 works okay and the only reason some of us got this beta is that we made enough noise. 

Now I'd say we all deserved the v2 and we should make RMA requests to receive the v2. Has anyone contacted Netgear for replacing v1 for a v2? 

Message 285 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I started having issues with the new beta firmware 83_1.0.10. For the past couple days the internet connection has not been very stable with wifi dropouts, certain wifi devices like the smart tvs dropping connection and not being able to reconnect, requiring a whole power recycle almost everyday again. I contacted my customer service now that Netgear has a new hardware version for the RAX40, I asked to get a replacement to the Rax40v2. Let's see what they say

Message 286 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

Damn that sucks that you’re now having issues with the beta. Keep us updated on how it goes with your support rep regarding the v2.
Message 287 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep, going back to good ol reliable firmware 64 today. I am not even going to bother with 88 since it is literally a castrated firmware with functionality removed that device is supposedly capable of. I am starting to regret the RAX40. All I want is that it properly delivers SmartConnect WPA3 etc without lock ups and freezes ad dropouts

Message 288 of 390
SilvertonMY
Guide

I just wanted to chime in on this.  I have an RAX35 v1 and am not experiencing any problems with it.  I never updated to the 1.0.3.80 firmware thanks to this thread that was created months ago.  I did, however have most of the same problems you guys are discussing when I upgraded to the .62 version, when I first bought the router about a year ago.  After a factory reset, none of the problems came back and the router has been stable since that time.  The only time the router has been rebooted is during a power outage.  I don't know why I've never had any issues.  Most of the features (AX, etc) are enabled on mine. The only thing I don't have enabled is the 2.4Ghz band.

I also wanted to say that I have been following this thread daily, since I have one of the routers in question.  Thanks to Bushmaster and Itsmehuey for taking the painstaking hours to keep us all updated.  I consider myself to be 'semi-retired' from the IT industry, but I still maintain a few networks.  I've always been a fan of Netgear but based on everyone's experiences that I've read in this thread, I'm not sure I'll ever buy one of their products again.  The way they have handled this is inexcusable, in my opinion.

To be fair, I believe that, since the release of AX, other routers have been 'strange' as well.  At our vacation home, I have another brand of router and I have read complaints on those boards too.  Based on everything I've read here, I think I'll remain at my current (.62) firmware on this RAX35 unless someone can give a reason that its not safe.  I'll eventually retire this 1 year old router and replace it with another brand due to my disappointment with the way Netgear support has handled this one.

My main reason for writing this is to thank Bushmaster and Itsmehuey for keeping us all informed.  In my case, you have saved me a lot of aggravation.

Message 289 of 390

I'm not going to question my fellow sufferers BUT 1.0.3.64 has serious security issues!  Yes, it works fine without all the features you paid for IF you don't mind waking up some morning with an empty bank account and all of your credit cards maxed out.  Install 1.0.3.88 and ask Netgear where the advertised features are.  Don't expect a reply.

<https://kb.netgear.com/000061495/Security-Advisory-for-Denial-of-Service-on-RAX40-PSV-2019-0210>

<https://kb.netgear.com/000062356/Security-Advisory-for-Security-Misconfiguration-on-RAX40-PSV-2019-0...>

Your friendly Netgear software techs are, well, um, "technically cllenged".

Message 290 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"BUT 1.0.3.64 has serious security issues"

I'm sure .88 also suffers from security issues which they will correct 6-7 months from now. Either way, it's futile to own this RAX40. I want a v2 that they fixed. One doesn't out of the blue release a new version of the hardware if the previous version worked fine.

So far no response from Netgear but it's Sunday. I'll wait.
Message 291 of 390
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

They do, the RAX120 now has a RAX120v2 and has been a great router. In this case it's going to support a few more WiFi 6 standards like UL OFDMA.

Message 292 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Another difficulty with Netgear's new Anywhere Access.

You can't access it
Message 293 of 390

You can still still get roughly $50 for an RAX40 on eBay.  Fortunately, eBay has bundled several Netgear model reviews into one so the RAX40's issues are diluted.  Don't forget, it is remotely possible that Netgear will some day accidentally fix the RAX40.  If not, you could always wait for v3.

Message 294 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't know why I went Netgear route. I think, it was simply because my Cox Home security router was a Netgear N300 so in order to avoid conflicts and such I went all with Netgear, modem/router/extender etc. I am ASUS guy; I should have gone ASUS route.

Message 295 of 390
rplc
Tutor

I am completely fed up with the poor product and horrible support from Netgear.

Given the latest release of firmware 1.0.3.88 is another terrible failure, I trashed the last Netgear router I would ever buy.

I've just bought a new Huawei AX3 Quadcore router, at 1/3 the price of Netgear and perfect performance, WiFi running WPA3 and 3 times faster with my mobile. Should have done it 6 months ago. This is my last post here. Bye bye Netgear and let's not see you again.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 296 of 390
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@itsmehuey

So Netgear countered my v2 replacement request with a "we have a new beta for you to test" statement today. Told them this is the last beta I'm testing. I want the v2, it's clear to me that v2 is a fix for what they learned from RAX40.
Message 297 of 390
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:
@itsmehuey

So Netgear countered my v2 replacement request with a "we have a new beta for you to test" statement today. Told them this is the last beta I'm testing. I want the v2, it's clear to me that v2 is a fix for what they learned from RAX40.

that's so pathetic... keep pushing them and keep us updated.

Message 298 of 390

... and they'll play the beta game until you surrender or your warranty expires.  It's called "running out trhe clock".

Message 299 of 390
CLBTuco
Star

Thanks for the security patch reminder.   I spent days trying to get .80 to work before going back to .64 where I stayed out of pure frustration.  I updated to .88 and my wifi crased twice in 4 hours.  After turning off Wifi 6 things seam to be working again, no AX speeds, WPA3 or OFDMA!    As you said, we paid for a wifi 6 router that only works in wifi 5 mode.    When I get a few minutes I'll get on the phone with support to hear them tell me I have to pay them to look into their problem.

One of the reasons I keep purchasing Netgear is because of the strong community, thank you.  My research into replacing my RAX40 with a non Netgear product starts today.

Message 300 of 390
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7