× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX43 dropping WAN from 1G/1G to 500Mb/80Mb

Alpinebs
Tutor

RAX43 dropping WAN from 1G/1G to 500Mb/80Mb

Im curious if there has been any resolution to the reduction of available bandwidth on netgear routers. Using an RAX43 AX4200 on a balanced gig fiber connection and as every other thread ive read, it measures 925/950ish on multiple test sites for seeming up to an hours after reboot then drops to a predictable 450-600/80. This all hardwired to the router. I have tried:

No QOS

no bitdefender

no parental controls

new patch cable

and a miriad of other suggested controls and just like every thread on here it ends with ...

Is there a resolve to this? Am i just screwed in using a netgear product? Of course its 4 mo old and i just swtiched from a 350/10 connection where i never noticed any sort of reduction, so now there is no support and past return period.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
microchip8
Master

I don't have a symmetric 1Gbps/1Gbps connection, but I had no problems hitting 1 Gbps download even after 2 weeks of operations on my RAX43. My upload is only 50 Mbps so I can't test that.

Which firmware version are you using? (not "the latest", a number)

What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 11
Alpinebs
Tutor

@microchip8 , the latest firmware

JK, V1.0.10.110_2.0.75

its a fiber connection so no modem. Gigpoint 803G media converter.

Message 3 of 11
microchip8
Master

I have the same FW as you and no issues here. Do you have traffic meter enabled?

Also, what modem/ONT is in front of the RAX43?

You can try factory reset and reconfigure from scratch (don't use a saved settings file. It defeats the purpose of factory reset)

Message 4 of 11
Alpinebs
Tutor

@microchip8 , ONT edited into previous reply. 

no traffic meter

have attempted factory default with scratch config, one HW PC then iMAC (both 1000Mbps ethernet connection established to router) connected at a time. same result. shows 925/950 for a period of time after reboot then drops into 250/80 through HW connection and 450-600/80 through wireless connection.

Message 5 of 11
microchip8
Master

I have no idea why your speeds drop after a while. I suspect (but could be wrong) that CTF (HW acceleration) is being disabled due to something. Maybe @plemans can chime in

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

Try reinstalling the firmware on it. Maybe something is corrupt in the firmware causing issues. A factory reset only clears out settings. 

You could also try downgrading the firmware a version in case its an issue with the current version of the firmware. 

Message 7 of 11
Alpinebs
Tutor

@microchip8 is the HW accel something that can be seen or controlled? I've seen it mentioned but dont know how to manage it.

Additional update, BerryComm is working on an issue in the area. We are getting slower than expected and erratic speeds at the fiber converter. Seeing 450/650 consistently, less at times, but none of the readings at the interface seem to match the random but consistent 240/80 that the router will produce from time to time. Its almost like the router is going into a degraded or safe mode which is why I'm curious about your HW acceleration comment. Is it possible the router's assessment is dynamic and responds to packet loss and degrades the available reading based on what it is able to reliably push?

Message 8 of 11
Alpinebs
Tutor

@plemans I certainly might try to reinstall firmware. So far its all been amending the existing installed firmware. I'm assuming that will also erase my configuration, yes?

I think I'm falling victim to two problems being the ISP service consistency which they are thankfully fully involved in fixing and something I don't understand happening in the router.

I'm going to focus my attention on the speed to the house first then dive into the router again if I still see anomalies.

Message 9 of 11
microchip8
Master

@Alpinebs wrote:

@microchip8 is the HW accel something that can be seen or controlled? I've seen it mentioned but dont know how to manage it.

Additional update, BerryComm is working on an issue in the area. We are getting slower than expected and erratic speeds at the fiber converter. Seeing 450/650 consistently, less at times, but none of the readings at the interface seem to match the random but consistent 240/80 that the router will produce from time to time. Its almost like the router is going into a degraded or safe mode which is why I'm curious about your HW acceleration comment. Is it possible the router's assessment is dynamic and responds to packet loss and degrades the available reading based on what it is able to reliably push?

CTF on Broadcom is a black box. No one really knows how it operates (not even the ASUS folks). There's no cheat sheet on how it works and wen it gets enable//disabled. As I said, it's a black blob box. Only Broadcom know how it works.

Message 10 of 11
Guru1911
Aspirant

Check your mtu settings
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7