× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 Access Control Not Persistent - Allowed Devices get Blocked upon Router Restart

myprofile
Aspirant

RAX45 Access Control Not Persistent - Allowed Devices get Blocked upon Router Restart

Greetings,

At the moment, the access control feature of my RAX45 is enabled, and set to "Block all new devices from connecting". Whenever the router reboots, some of the "allowed" devices are dropped and then show up as "blocked". This is happening to the same set of devices - meaning every time the router restarts, the same devices are "blocked". All other "allowed" devices are working just fine.

I have tried to add these devices manually, and then reboot, with the same outcome - that is "blocked".

I am unsure how to resolve this, or whether this is a firmware bug. Unable to find a solution for this issue.

Please note that I have disabled random MAC addresses on my devices for my home network. So the devices are coming in with the same MAC address. Secondly, if it were a different MAC address every time, then the previous MAC addresses would still be visible in the "allowed" list below.

Router is on latest Firmware Version V1.0.15.128_2.0.89.

Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
myprofile
Aspirant

Re: RAX45 Access Control Not Persistent - Allowed Devices get Blocked upon Router Restart

My RAX45 was not behaving right. For example, the allowed list and blocked list were identical. When a MAC address was deleted from blocked list, it would also delete from allowed list. So, I ended up resetting the router, and reconfiguring it again. So far, it is working fine, and there are just about 25 devices allowed. I have not configured the address reservation just yet.

Thank you for your responses and assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Re: RAX45 Access Control Not Persistent - Allowed Devices get Blocked upon Router Restart

@myprofile wrote:

Greetings,

At the moment, the access control feature of my RAX45 is enabled, and set to "Block all new devices from connecting". Whenever the router reboots, some of the "allowed" devices are dropped and then show up as "blocked". This is happening to the same set of devices - meaning every time the router restarts, the same devices are "blocked". All other "allowed" devices are working just fine.

I have tried to add these devices manually, and then reboot, with the same outcome - that is "blocked".

I am unsure how to resolve this, or whether this is a firmware bug. Unable to find a solution for this issue.

Please note that I have disabled random MAC addresses on my devices for my home network. So the devices are coming in with the same MAC address. Secondly, if it were a different MAC address every time, then the previous MAC addresses would still be visible in the "allowed" list below.

Router is on latest Firmware Version V1.0.15.128_2.0.89.

Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions.

What is the number of devices you have listed on the "blocked" list?  What is the number of devices you have on the "allowed" list?

You could be running into some firmware limits.  The RAX45 product data sheet indicates the router can handle up to 25 devices.

Message 2 of 7
myprofile
Aspirant

Without counting, I am very sure that my allowed list has more than 25 devices. This limit is quite annoying. I suspected such limitation but didn’t bother to check the data sheet.

I wonder what is the limit for AX5400. I had similar device count with the older R7000 and do not recall having such limitation.
Message 3 of 7
myprofile
Aspirant

For each of the various routers, the data sheet states the following:

- RAX4300:  "handle up to 25 device"

- RAX5400: "suitable for up to 25 connected devices"

- R7000:  "you get multi-layered cybersecurity for an unlimited number of devices'

Not sure if one should not read too much into the difference in verbiage, or read between the lines. But in anyway simultaneously connected device limit I can understand, and if true, there is hardly a time when I have 25 connected devices simultaneously.

I will have to figure a workaround for now, but this is really a shortcoming on Netgear's part. Router allows to configure more than 25 static IP's (there are 37 configured right now). So this limit of 25 devices does not apply to static IP, but does to access control list.

Besides, I am very much sure that more than 25 devices can connect to the router simultaneously, it's just that performance will start to degrade. Tempted to test.....!

Message 4 of 7
Kitsap
Master

The parameters are not clearly defined.  Some background on Wi-Fi connections.

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-WiFi-client-devices-can-my-NETGEAR-router-support

Message 5 of 7

@myprofile wrote:

Router allows to configure more than 25 static IP's (there are 37 configured right now). So this limit of 25 devices does not apply to static IP, but does to access control list.

Static and reserved IP addresses – which can mean different things depending on where you set them, router, device or ISP – are not the same thing as wifi connections.

Message 6 of 7
myprofile
Aspirant

My RAX45 was not behaving right. For example, the allowed list and blocked list were identical. When a MAC address was deleted from blocked list, it would also delete from allowed list. So, I ended up resetting the router, and reconfiguring it again. So far, it is working fine, and there are just about 25 devices allowed. I have not configured the address reservation just yet.

Thank you for your responses and assistance.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7