× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX48 Access Control Problem

mrcpuhead
Aspirant

RAX48 Access Control Problem

I enabled access control yesterday with the block new devices setting. Last night my son complained about not being able to access WiFi from his phone, which was already registered with the router. This morning my work laptop could not connect to the Internet, even though it was already registered with the router. When I check router settings under access control, I saw my laptop was listed as Blocked. Seems the router forgot that availability is a pillar of information security. Any ideas? Note I had also enabled Armor but this morning turned it off when the problem with my laptop popped up. I've temporarily disabled access control so I can telework.
Message 1 of 5

Hi @mrcpuhead , maybe your devices are enabling "Random/ Private MAC", so when they change the MAC, router would treat them as new connecting devices.

Message 2 of 5
mrcpuhead
Aspirant

That sounded promising - but I checked my laptop and the random hardware address setting is OFF.

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

Do you have any Apple devices (iPhone/iPad)? If so, they're notoriously in MAC changing "for the sake of security"... hah!

As a last resort, a complete factory reset of the router (button at back, press for 10 sec) may resolve your issues. Also make sure your Windows network is not set to "private"

Message 4 of 5
mrcpuhead
Aspirant

So far the only affected devices were my Windows laptop (Air Force managed) and Samsung Galaxy phone.
Sure hope a factory reset is not needed!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7