× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX5 not broadcasting wifi

Gabnxe
Tutor

RAX5 not broadcasting wifi

Since doing a factory reset, my RAX5 router is not broadcasting wifi. When I tried to log into it directly, I got a splash page that said to use the Nighhawk app, but the app is not seeing the router, either. I know that all of my cables are fine, as they work on my old router. I was able to see the RAX5 before a factory reset. I e made sure to connect the modem, then the router and have power cycled both multiple times. I’m on Spectrum with a Sepectrum supplied modem and my old router is also a Netgear. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. There isn't an RAX5. Its a 2 digit number at least. What actual model do you have? 

2. On the splash page that says to use the app, there's a link at the bottom that says "i don't have a smartphone" or similar. Click on that and you can go through setup through the browser

3. Did the wifi on/off button get hit during the reset? Happens a lot. You have to push and hold it for at least 2 seconds to re-enable the wifi

Message 2 of 7
Gabnxe
Tutor

It’s also called AX1600. I checked the bottom of the router and it says RAX5🤷🏼

I tried the link on the splash page, but it doesn’t work.

I don’t see a wifi on/off switch anywhere.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
Gabnxe
Tutor

Thanks.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 7
Gabnxe
Tutor

Yes
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Gabnxe wrote:

Thanks.

Oh Dang. I didn't think they could go cheaper than the RAX10. Wow. They did. No wifi on/off in the manual for a hardware button I could find. 

I'd try factory resetting and starting over. While plugged in, push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds until the lights blink. Let it boot back up. then try hardwiring into it for setup. The splash page *should* have that link you can click on to setup with the browser. I've not found a router without one but I didn't know about this device. 

Looks like its about $70 at wallyworld. I'd return it if was me. I like Netgear because they let me test things but that thing is the most basic of AX devices. There's much better devices for that price or slightly more. Just do a quick search on amazon for netgear renewed. You could pickup a MK63 mesh system for $100. Heck, the Arris w31 can be sourced from fleabay for $60 and will stomp that router into the ground. Its an AX11000. So many better options than an RAX5. Still stunned they made that. And are charging that much for it. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series