× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 with firmware version 1.0.12.96 higher latency when pinging

rich345
Guide

RAXE500 with firmware version 1.0.12.96 higher latency when pinging

I upgraded my Netgear RAXE500 WiFi Router to firmware version 1.0.12.96 from firmware version 1.0.11.94. After the upgrade, I pinged the IP address of the RAXE500 and noticed that the latency of the pings are no longer < 1ms. The pings are now all over the place with pings as high as 11ms. Does anyone know what is causing this to happen?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What devices are you using to ping the router? Wired is preferred. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 3
rich345
Guide

The Netgear RAXE500 WiFi router is connected to a Motorola MB8611 cable modem on the WAN port. I'm using good quality CAT6 cable to connect to the router.

I set the WIFi router back to factory settings. I then pulled the power plug and let it sit for several minutes. I then plugged the power back in and let it boot up. I then connected to the setup wizzard and set all settings as they were before. The WiFi router's IP address is set to 192.168.1.1. I then pinged the WiFi router at IP adress 192.168.1.1 and still got variable latency between 5ms and 11ms. I then pinged www.google.com and saw almost double the latency of normal (average of about 20ms).

I then reverted firmware back to version 1.0.11.94, reset it to factory, ran through the setup wizzard. I pinged 192.168.1.1 and the result was consistently back to <1ms. I then pinged www.google.com . It was back to normal with a latency of 10ms. What is going on with firmware version 1.0.12.96?

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7