× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Fails to setup

Kiwi_ET
Tutor

Router Fails to setup

I am trying to connect to my ISP (2Degress - NZ). The fibre network is run by a different com[any Northpower and they use Calix FSL modems. When I go through the setup using either the app or the router web interface, I end up with a condition that says that the cable is not connected when it is. It seems that the router fails in the handshake process.

2Degrees sent me a Netgear Orbi (RBR350) router and that configured without a problem. I don't understand why the AX1800 consistently fails. I factory reset it a number of times and retried the proc

The  AX1800 WiFi Router (RAX10) is a Wifi 6 Router (RAX10-100AUS)

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Kiwi_ET
Tutor

Re: Router Fails to setup

Solution found by looking at the ISP's supplied router setup. The problem was in the way the VLAN was created. They did not tell me which options to select so I never got it right. Using their router let me see how they required it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

@Kiwi_ET wrote:

The fibre network is run by a different com[any Northpower and they use Calix FSL modems.

Is this a basic modem or a modem/router?

What sort of Internet? Every ISP has fibre somewhere in there so the "fibre" tag means nothing.

Message 2 of 7
Kiwi_ET
Tutor

|  Is this a basic modem or a modem/router?

I believe the Calix is just a modem for a fibre connection to the house. There is no wireless capability and although it has four lane ports only one is active.

| What sort of Internet? Every ISP has fibre somewhere in there so the "fibre" tag means nothing.

What I meant is fibre to the house. In the UK, they would say fibre but it would go only to the box on the street. The connection to the house was copper wire or what gave you a coaxial connection in the house. Here, in NZ, when they say fibre, they mean fibre to the house so I can see a strand of fibre going into the Calix box.

Also in the UK, the ISP and network provider tended to be the same company. There were cases of smaller ISP piggybacking on others networks. Here in NZ, the fibre network is supplied by a cable network provider. In my case, the local power company. They do not provide ISP services. You have a separate ISP who provides access to the internet. Although you sign up with the ISP, there is transparency about who provides what.

The Netgear Orbi router or the Netgear AX1800 router connects by a LAN cable to the Clix box. You can plug your computer directly into the Calix box but although it seems to configure (you get an IP address), you don't have internet access. There is no connection to the ISP.

The Orbi supplied by the ISP connects without issues to the ISPs gateway. The AX1800 claims a cable problem. I suspect there is some underlying login issue with the ISP because it is not a static IP address but the ISP only gives me vague information. I suspect partly to force me to rent their routers.

Message 3 of 7

@Kiwi_ET wrote:

The Netgear Orbi router or the Netgear AX1800 router connects by a LAN cable to the Clix box. You can plug your computer directly into the Calix box but although it seems to configure (you get an IP address), you don't have internet access. There is no connection to the ISP.

There is no model number AX1800. That's a wifi technology/speed indicator. Your AX1800 is the RAX10? (You also tagged the R6700AX.)

Did you reset the RAX10 before you tried connecting it to the new ISP? It needs to forget previous connection settings from an earlier ISP.

The Orbi supplied by the ISP connects without issues to the ISPs gateway. The AX1800 claims a cable problem. I suspect there is some underlying login issue with the ISP because it is not a static IP address but the ISP only gives me vague information. I suspect partly to force me to rent their routers.

You say "ISPs gateway". The gateway word has a specific meaning in these networks. It usually refers to a modem/router that acts as a gateway to the Internet.

Do you mean the Calix thing? From your description it is neither a gateway nor a  modem. It is an optical network termination (ONT). Calix uses that terminology in some of its literature.

Using the right terminology is important here to avoid confusion.

Where do you see these reports of a "cable problem"?

That can happen when people use an app on a mobile device to set up a network. That is not always, if ever, the best approach. It is easier and more controllable if you use the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

You can then try the Internet setup wizard in the GUI.

You could also look at the Internet connection settings in the Orbi that does work.

If this is an ISP settings issue, which sound like a sensible conclusion, then there isn't much that anyone here can do to help. Ir the wizard can't detect the right settings, you need the ISP, or someone in its own user community, to tell you what the settings should be.

Message 4 of 7
Kiwi_ET
Tutor

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 7
Kiwi_ET
Tutor

Solution found by looking at the ISP's supplied router setup. The problem was in the way the VLAN was created. They did not tell me which options to select so I never got it right. Using their router let me see how they required it.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Some insight of the VLAN Bridge configuration required would be nice for the future readers please.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7