× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Netgear NightHawk AX12 AX6000 RAX120 to Wirelessly Connect to Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 (Br

nocinc
Aspirant

Setting up Netgear NightHawk AX12 AX6000 RAX120 to Wirelessly Connect to Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 (Bridge

Setting up Netgear NightHawk AX12 AX6000 RAX120 to Wirelessly Connect to Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 (Bridge)

I would like to just enable the NightHawk as a grange extender but it would not hurt to also fully brige it so I can use the Hard Wire Ports as well. 

The Motorola is a 200 dollar cable modem and the NightHawk is a 500 dollar router, I can not imagine why they would not be able to work together considering they are both only about 2-3 years old. I must be doing something wrong. I have watched many youtube videos (I must say some people think they got it correct but did not) Some videos are for specific routers and seem to work great. I DO NOT want to run a wire from one router to another to make a wired bridge, I want it wireless, or at least just a range extender.

I have been trying for 7+ hours to connect my Netgear NightHawk AX12 AX6000 RAX120 to Wirelessly Connect to my Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem & Router.

I have tried the Access point Mode (AP) I have tired the Bridge Mode I have Tried the Router mode all in different configurations.

I have tried to let it auto configure, I have tried to configure it manually with IP, MAC, DNS, ETC

I have gone into my Motorola and enabled Wireless Bridging and adding the MAC address for the NightHawk's Main Router MAC, Wireless MAC (2.4GHz & 5GHz) and two other MACs I could find. (Motorola allows up to 5 so I added everything I could find then if I got it working, start taking them off one by one until I could find the working one).

The only problem I am having is getting the 2nd router to grab internet from the main Motorola modem/router. I tried it as just an access point, made sure everything was on different channels, same network ID and password, etc but it did not work for some reason. 

I actually took a class on how to do this about 5 years ago but have not practiced it in a long time and I must be missing something. 

MY MAIN QUESTION BEING.... Is what I am asking of these devices even possible? 

From what I was taught, this can be done with almost any combination as long as you have the correct IP, SUBNET, DNS, MAC addresses, DHCP (should be disabled depending on which method you go with) ETC.

The prebuilt function of AP MODE, BRIDGE MODE, REPEATER MODE (I do not have a repeater mode option) seems to work for most people from what I can see.

I would like a tutorial of how to do this manually, I would prefer not go go with the click and select BRIDGE MODE/ AP MODE for a couple reasons. First, it is not working for me, Second, I would like to be able to set this up on wireless routers that do not have the automatic function.

I have watched MANY videos and read the first 15 pages for each search terms I have entered and they all seem okay and works for some people but none seem to have the FULL detials on how to do it manually like I learned how (then forgot)  to set it up properly. 

If anyone can point me in the right direction or personally help that would be great and I am sure I can return the favor.

If you made it to the end of this, thank you for reading.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setting up Netgear NightHawk AX12 AX6000 RAX120 to Wirelessly Connect to Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 (Br

Since this model doesn't have a Repeater function, you'll not be able to wirelessy connect the RAX to your host router and use it as a repeater/extender. The RAX only supports AP or Wireless bridge mode which for Bridge mode, means the RAX becomes a wireless client to the host router and then you can ethernet connect devices to the back of the RAX. 

Message 2 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

That is what I want but it is not working

Message 3 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

I am not sure what you mean, you say it will not work but contradict yourself saying it will do exactly what I want. Wireless connect to my main router.

"""

Since this model doesn't have a Repeater function, you'll not be able to wirelessy connect the RAX to your host router and use it as a repeater/extender. The RAX only supports AP or Wireless bridge mode which for Bridge mode, means the RAX becomes a wireless client to the host router and then you can ethernet connect devices to the back of the RAX. 

"""

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So for wireless bridge mode to work on the RAX, the host router, I presume your motorola needs to be setup for standard wifi networking with a broadcast SSID and PW and security. prefferabliy set to WPA2 and AES. Channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 36 thru 48 or 149-161 on 5Ghz. Thats all.

Then the RAX should have a setting in Bridge mode to set up and connect to either 2.4 or 5Ghz. Preferrably 5Ghz. Then input the SSID name and PW, save the setting. Then there is an option to have the RAX get an IP address Dynamically from the host router or Static. I prefer Static as if something happens to the RAX while using Dynamtic, you may loose access to the RAX web page. Static IP addresssing, the RAX will have have an IP address to gain access to the RAX web page while in bridge mode. 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Repeater Mode and Wireless Bridge mode are two different modes. Do confuse them or think they are the same. They are NOT. 

Repeater mode connects to the host router then re-broadcasts a SSID signal that wifi devices can connect too. 
Bridge mode connects to the host router ONLY and does not broadcast a signal that wifi devices can connect too. 

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

I have read all of these pages before, also they are not specific to my routers.

Thank youf or replying, and I agree, I do want to go static and would like to set it up manually. 

I am more concered with JUST having my router get connected, I can do the rest fromt here

internet.jpg

Message 8 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

internet.jpg

Message 9 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

Sorry for the second image, it was not showing the first time. I am new here, is there a way to edit or delete posts? (I do not think so)

Message 10 of 15
Razor512
Prodigy

For your router, you will need to do the following to set up a wireless bridge.

Go to Advanced> Advanced Setup> Wireless Settings.

Then scroll down and check the box that says "use other operation mode".

Check "Enable Bridge mode".

Then click on "setup bridge mode wireless settings"

Once you have done that, it should open a new window where you will select the band from the dropdown list, and then you will enter in the SSID and password and security mode exactly as you have it set on the main router (all case sensitive with no room for error).

Once you apply those settings, the router will restart and attempt to connect to the main AP.

The second WiFi router will then essentially behave as an unmanaged switch for wired devices connected to it. It will not allow WiFi clients to connect to it, and for some reason Netgear doesn't allow the unused band to become an AP either.

PS, the wireless bridge mode tends to have higher throughput than the extender products since all of its air time is dedicated to being a client, and it is often a 4 stream radio.

Message 11 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

Thank you all for replying however I have tried all of these things.

People are giving me basic information, I have called netgear and they say it is not possiable to connect wirlesslesy however then why does bedige mode ask for wifi info to the main router?

I would like someone who has actually done this with Setting up Netgear NightHawk AX12 AX6000 RAX120 wirlessly to their modem.

Message 12 of 15
Razor512
Prodigy

That is rather strange since it is a functionthat Netgear has not changed in many years beyond the most basic for supporting new standards such as 802.11ax. Beyond that the UI has not changed in the past 10 years or so but in my experience it has worked reliably.

I typically use the wireless bridge on nearly all of their routers when testing performance since no one seems to make anything higher than a 2 stream adapter, but many WiFi routers will have a 4 stream radio.

wireless-bridge-settings.jpg

Message 13 of 15
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to also add that if the correct bridge mode is enabled, the web UI will change, and DNS address as well as the default IP will no longer work. The router will have an IP provided the main router, and the UI will look very different. The basic page will have most options disabled, (including all AP related settings), and the advanced tap will just have client info such as the IP, link rate and various other common settings.

In your case, it will look close to this when the settings are applied on both the popup window and the advanced page.

bridge1.jpg

Message 14 of 15
nocinc
Aspirant

That would be fine as long a I can JUST get the internet status set as GOOD

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7