× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Some or might be all Wireless devices can't connect to WIFI if OFDMA andor MU-MIMO seperately ar

Gport16
Aspirant

Some or might be all Wireless devices can't connect to WIFI if OFDMA andor MU-MIMO seperately are on

Noticed if running OFDMA and MU-MIMO is enabled (one at a time or both at same time) Some devices can't connect to WIFI.  So yes, it's possible some older devices, still 5GHz don't support support MU-MIMO I would think they'd still work though but just not take advantage of MU-MIMO.  Is it by design when enabled ONLY devices that support it can even connect?  Just level setting?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Gport16
Aspirant

Re: Some or might be all Wireless devices can't connect to WIFI if OFDMA andor MU-MIMO seperately ar

Actually looking at older post I did (I'm revisiting) they issue was 

Beamforming - Already was enabled

Airtime Fariness- Just enabled and seems OK......

MU-MIMO - Currently disabled

AX Mode- I had this enabled but then could only use 1 oif the 5hz channels.  The other one either couldn't be seen or couldn't connect with known good password.  So I turned off and was fine after.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Gport16
Aspirant

Actually looking at older post I did (I'm revisiting) they issue was 

Beamforming - Already was enabled

Airtime Fariness- Just enabled and seems OK......

MU-MIMO - Currently disabled

AX Mode- I had this enabled but then could only use 1 oif the 5hz channels.  The other one either couldn't be seen or couldn't connect with known good password.  So I turned off and was fine after.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router do you have? RAX200? 

What FW is loaded on the router?

What older devices do you have? 

Is Smart Connect disabled or enabled?

What is the security mode your using on the router? WPA2 or Mixed mode WPA2/WPA3? There are known issues with older devices not being able to connect if mixed mode is set with WPA3 in the mix. Something with these older devices can't connect, even though WPA2 is present. Would be a quick test to see if you disable wifi security with OFDMA and MIMO enabled at the same time, does any of the older devices connect at all? Re-enable WPA2 after checking this.

What channels are you using? 

Message 3 of 5
Gport16
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Yeah RAX 200

What FW is loaded on the router?

Firmware?  Latest that was available via Netgear, but issue persistent between firmware's so ruled out, I suppose

What older devices do you have? 

Mainly couple older laptops 4-5yrs Newer ones too

iphone XR - Also had same issue, only 1 channel

Is Smart Connect disabled or enabled?

No

What is the security mode your using on the router? WPA2 or Mixed mode WPA2/WPA3? There are known issues with older devices not being able to connect if mixed mode is set with WPA3 in the mix. Something with these older devices can't connect, even though WPA2 is present. Would be a quick test to see if you disable wifi security with OFDMA and MIMO enabled at the same time, does any of the older devices connect at all? Re-enable WPA2 after checking this.

Not mixed

What channels are you using? 

2.4 and 2- -   5ghz

Thanks on "testing" possibilities 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try with SC enabled as well as a test. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7