× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Transmit Power (TRP) setting in RAX43

gcalli
Guide

Transmit Power (TRP) setting in RAX43

Netgear RAX43 -100EU

Firmware Version V1.0.16.132_2.0.92

The router manual states that Transmit Power Control setting on the Netgear Nighthawk RAX43 can be found as follows:

• Once logged in, you’ll see the BASIC Home page or Dashboard.
    • Select the Wireless option.
  1. Locate Transmit Power Settings:

• Look for options related to wireless settings, advanced settings, or radio settings or look for the transmit power control under a different name, such as:
      • Power Level
      • Output Power
      • Transmit Power
      • Radio Power

I've spent countless hours trying to find the setting, to no avail!

Can someone please tell me if the setting still exists or has NETGEAR hidden it? If so, why?

Why can't they just make settings available and allow the consumer, who has paid money for the router, make their own adjustments and decisions?

Failing that, open firmware up for customization & tweaking!

Making it great again!

Message 1 of 56

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@gcalli wrote:

It's a pity that these routers can't be tweaked. I wouldn't even mind if somebody kept the original Netgear firmware but tweaked it and added other usefully bits and pieces.

The original firmware is there for you to play with to your heart's content.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will also have software and a library of firmware versions for your device.

Then apply the newer firmware and see if your power levels are what you want. You won't be able to change that in the GUI but your wifi devices should let you know. If the power level is not what you want, reapply the saved settings and check again.

Not sure the OP does understand this when we talk about the newer firmware. I guess you intended pointing to the "View Previous Version" where earlier firmware releases are made available for download (silently accepting all the risks involved not operating the recent and current build):

RAX43 Firmwre Download - View Previous Versions.PNG

@michaelkenward wrote:

Out of interest, why is it so important to have control over the Transmit Power setting?

I'm a little bit lost in what the OP want to achieve. On one hand seeking for 

@gcalli wrote:

Although the specs point otherwise, I find the Wi-Fi of the RAX43 not as good and efficient as the R7000, hence my quest to find and tweak the Transmit Power. I'm even considering of upgrading the antenna if I can find the correct advice and the right ones for the RAX43. 

The user accessible transmit power settings are always about restricting or limiting the power. Each of the four antennas supplied are designed to deliver the maximal permitted EIRP on the three bands. Often overseen, the power legally available on some channels is much, sometimes massively lower than on the others.  

@gcalli wrote:

The RAX43 is even showing connected devices incorrectly - some are connected wirelessly, and it shows them as wired and vis a versa.

If true, it must be a very obvious bug - or are you operating a wireless access point connected to the LAN of this RAX43? Some proof, firmware version, ... would allow Netgear to jump in on these issues (if any).

@michaelkenward wrote:

PS Any reason why someone should have deleted the message from @flatulist? It was an inoffensive link to the release notes.

RAX43 Firmware Version 1.0.11.112 - NETGEAR Support

I guess "the vandals took the handles", to quote a great American poet.

Either some automated Anti-Spam measures took actions, or some appointed vandals with the appropriate "rights" granted, appear to be in a private war against what the free world does understand as free speech.

indeed, far to many valid posts removed and threads censored the last months. Very disappointing, we're not in Russia or North Korea!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 56

All Replies
microchip8
Master

The manual is outdated. Transmit power has been removed a long time ago and is now locked by region. You cannot change it.
Message 2 of 56
schumaku
Guru

The Nighthawk AX5 5-Stream WiFi Router Models RAX41, RAX42, and RAX43 User Manual was updated in January 2023. The revision is documented, and there no further references to find in the -current- UM.

Jan 2023 transmission power.PNG

Message 3 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, it's very disappointing. Pity I wasn't able to determine this before purchase!

I used a R7000 before and was very happy with its performance, to the point, I was going to flash it with DD-WRT to keep it more current especially as there were no more updates for it and user friendly when lightning took it out. 

Although the specs point otherwise, I find the Wi-Fi of the RAX43 not as good and efficient as the R7000, hence my quest to find and tweak the Transmit Power. I'm even considering of upgrading the antenna if I can find the correct advice and the right ones for the RAX43. The RAX43 is even showing connected devices incorrectly - some are connected wirelessly, and it shows them as wired and vis a versa.

Bought the RAX43 in March 2024 as the Wi-Fi 6e and 7 versions were unfortunately out of my budget.

Regretfully, I incorrectly assumed that all Netgear Broadcom routers were upgradable to DD-WRT.

It's a pity that these routers can't be tweaked. I wouldn't even mind if somebody kept the original Netgear firmware but tweaked it and added other usefully bits and pieces.

Similar to what Eric Sauvageau - asuswrt-merlin does with Asus routers or as Voxel does to Oribi.

Netgear ought to acknowledge that once a unit is purchased, it belongs to the buyer. Given that they provide only 90 days of support, it should be the owner's prerogative to decide how to use it and customize it!

For Netgear

Customer service is a vital element of any companies’ business and affects how your company is viewed in the public eye.

Customer service backs up your product or service and needs to impart the correct product information. Your customers need to feel that they are valued, treated fairly, and appreciated by your business.

In business, it is important to get people in the door to keep them coming back by delivering excellent customer service.

Great service ensures that customers feel that you care about developing long-term relationships.

Delivering excellence benefits your business and your customers.

@microchip8 

Message 4 of 56

@gcalli wrote:

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will also have software and a library of firmware versions for your device.

Then manually apply whichever version takes your fancy:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You may find that you will regain access to the settings you want. If so, make the change and save a backup of the settings.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Then apply the newer firmware and see if your power levels are what you want. You won't be able to change that in the GUI but your wifi devices should let you know. If the power level is not what you want, reapply the saved settings and check again.

If none of that works, you are stuffed.

Out of interest, why is it so important to have control over the Transmit Power setting?

PS Any reason why someone should have deleted the message from @flatulist? It was an inoffensive link to the release notes.

Message 5 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@gcalli wrote:

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Not sure the OP does understand this when we talk about the newer firmware. I guess you intended pointing to the "View Previous Version" where earlier firmware releases are made available for download (silently accepting all the risks involved not operating the recent and current build):

RAX43 Firmwre Download - View Previous Versions.PNG

@michaelkenward wrote:

I'm a little bit lost in what the OP want to achieve. On one hand seeking for 

@gcalli wrote:

Although the specs point otherwise, I find the Wi-Fi of the RAX43 not as good and efficient as the R7000, hence my quest to find and tweak the Transmit Power. I'm even considering of upgrading the antenna if I can find the correct advice and the right ones for the RAX43. 

The user accessible transmit power settings are always about restricting or limiting the power. Each of the four antennas supplied are designed to deliver the maximal permitted EIRP on the three bands. Often overseen, the power legally available on some channels is much, sometimes massively lower than on the others.  

@gcalli wrote:

The RAX43 is even showing connected devices incorrectly - some are connected wirelessly, and it shows them as wired and vis a versa.

If true, it must be a very obvious bug - or are you operating a wireless access point connected to the LAN of this RAX43? Some proof, firmware version, ... would allow Netgear to jump in on these issues (if any).

@michaelkenward wrote:

Either some automated Anti-Spam measures took actions, or some appointed vandals with the appropriate "rights" granted, appear to be in a private war against what the free world does understand as free speech.

indeed, far to many valid posts removed and threads censored the last months. Very disappointing, we're not in Russia or North Korea!

Message 6 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Lots of food for thought.

Very valid last point! 

I wish I had more knowledge on these routers, issues and troubleshooting.

Rightfully on wrongly, I base my assumptions and decisions on what I've researched and understood from others.

The recording of what is wired or wireless, is not a wireless access point connected to the LAN port issue. Double checked this before contacting Support. They said they would document the issue for further analysis. Unfortunately, I can't get hold of them to pursue further as my free 90 days support has expired. Not that it makes a difference, but it would have been nice to have everything listed correctly.

Message 7 of 56
gcalli
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote {Out of interest, why is it so important to have control over the Transmit Power setting?}

Previous router R7000 reached further spots in the house which the RAX43 doesn't.

Location of router is exactly where the R7000 was. 

Message 8 of 56

@gcalli wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote {Out of interest, why is it so important to have control over the Transmit Power setting?}

Previous router R7000 reached further spots in the house which the RAX43 doesn't.

Location of router is exactly where the R7000 was. 

So you want to turn up the power?

I thought that power adjustment started at maximum and allowed you to turn it down. That is what people have asked about in the past.

But those queries usually come from people who fear that too much wifi will fry their brains. In those cases there is an alternative.

71GV79NPpZL._UL1163_

Message 9 of 56
gcalli
Guide

It's worth a try! 

If I fry my brains, then my answer will be gibberish!

Then you will have proof! 😱

Message 10 of 56
schumaku
Guru

A good starting point are the power 

PY319400466 Operating Frequencies and the Power Output.PNG

Source: FCC and Netgear provided data, including the rules part and the application reference..

234 mW == 23.7 dBm

998 mW == 29.99 dBm ... so sharp at the legal emitted power limit.

So the difference is 6.3 dB - and this has an impact on the reach and the possible coverage. Each 3 dB doubles the power 8-).

So be wise when selecting your Wi-Fi router channel set if you must have the best possible coverage 8-)

Message 11 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

yes, that's the FCC Regulations for indoor Router/AP downstream power.

the indoor Client device upstream power is even more restricted.

see attached chart

@schumaku 

@michaelkenward 

does that answer your question?

Message 12 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Yes, thank you.

Starting to make sense.

Greatly appreciate your guidance.

Message 13 of 56

For easier reading, and before the vandals arrive:

groundhogday--(2024-2-14)

Message 14 of 56

@gcalli wrote:

Greatly appreciate your guidance.

Next time you want to update your system to get better wifi coverage, think Mesh.

Message 15 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Got it.

Thanks.

Definitely will do.

Message 16 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Curious what we can do to stop these other vandals from running their own private war blocking and deleting legitimate users and posts @ChristineT please. Time to act up here....

And as a reference, again the perfect valid post here:

groundhogday--(2024-2-14).png

Message 17 of 56

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Curious what we can do to stop these other vandals from running their own private war blocking and deleting legitimate users and posts @ChristineT please. Time to act up here....

It is a mystery. It is troublesome when we have to step in and repost harmless, but informative, messages to prevent them from extinction.

These deletions benefit no one. Certainly not the users and not Netgear.

Maybe someone with these god like powers doesn't like it when they are challenged. But that is no excuse for vandalism.

If nothing else, there should be a way to work out who does this damage to Netgear and these communities.

Apologies for going off topic. But this is a long running saga that baffles several of us old timers.

I am content with the ability to flag up "Inappropriate content" for moderators to deal with.

Message 18 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @michaelkenward for speaking out what we see and experience!

Message 19 of 56
gcalli
Guide

@michaelkenward 

@schumaku 

I am grateful for any assistance provided. Without knowing the reasons for the deletions, I assumed that I had broached a taboo topic or violated some unwritten rule.

Assistance and direction from senior members is always valued.

Thank you

Message 20 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Might be off topic, but it still concerns the RAX43

Is there perhaps a setting for Wake on Lan in the router or a setting that has to be enabled?

I have a media server on my PC (Emby) and trying to set the WiiM Mini to wake it up, but am not sure if the router has to receive the Wake on Lan first?

Thanks

Message 21 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@gcalli wrote:

I have a media server on my PC (Emby) and trying to set the WiiM Mini to wake it up, but am not sure if the router has to receive the Wake on Lan first?

Well, does the WiiM Mini send-out WoL fames to the network, to the LAN, and/or the WiFi? All I can find is some 12 V trigger port allowing to enabled an amplifier.

Needless to say, a device you want to start using WoL needs to be up and workable in some kind of stand-by-mode, keeping the Ethernet link up (typically in some green mode on a low link speed), and always needs to keep an established Wi-Fi connection.

Very few sophisticated routers include the ability for WoL attached/connected from the Web UI, very uncommon is the ability for triggering WoL from port forwardings established for example. An extremely niche feature....

Message 22 of 56

@schumaku wrote:

Thank you @michaelkenward for speaking out what we see and experience!

Apologies for going off topic. But this is a frustrating experience. Unexplained deletions, can put off anyone who really wants to help solve problems and can baffle the people they are trying to help.

I see these things because I receive email alerts for new messages for conversations that I am following. When I try to read those messages, boom, they have gone, for no apparent reason.

I also follow the community with an RSS reader. The same thing can happen there. Perhaps the vandals don't realise that their actions leave tell-tale signs.

Message 23 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Some feedback.

I reverted the firmware and located the Transmit power setting, only to discover it was already at its maximum of 100%.

It was all in vain. However, it did resolve my uncertainty of 'what if'.

Additionally, my backup encountered issues, possibly related to the Windows Download Manager and '.cfg' files, which are meant to protect Windows.

Thats what I call a learning curve!

Message 24 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thanks for that.

Message 25 of 56
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements