× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transmit Power (TRP) setting in RAX43

Re: Transmit Power (TRP) setting in RAX43

@gcalli wrote:

I reverted the firmware and located the Transmit power setting, only to discover it was already at its maximum of 100%.

Thanks for the feedback. It does confirm the suspicions that I voiced earlier. At least the "don't fry my brain" brigade has a route to lowering wifi levels. Backtrack on the firmware

Additionally, my backup encountered issues, possibly related to the Windows Download Manager and '.cfg' files, which are meant to protect Windows.

It may also be browser related. Windows and browsers are getting more and more paranoid about security to the extent that they actually make life harder for experienced users and scare inexperienced folk to death. I have certainly seen "here be demons" alerts when trying to save cfg files.

Message 26 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Good evening.

Could I pick your brains a bit further?

Fragmentation Length is set by default on 2346 (max) If I under this correctly, it's the maximum size of data packet transmitted - thus is it set correctly?

CTS/RTS By default its set at 2347 - too high leads to slower network performance and too low causes other issues - then shouldn't it be set at midpoint?

Preamble is set on Long Preamble. Is this correct?

Thanks

Message 27 of 56

Do you have any reason for wanting to play with these settings? Or is it just a matter of interest?

I always work on the basis of "leave well alone" unless I come across a problem that needs fixing.

Message 28 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Curiosity and trying to understand things more than anything else.
I wouldn't change settings incase I mess things up.
Message 29 of 56

@gcalli wrote:
Curiosity and trying to understand things more than anything else.
I wouldn't change settings incase I mess things up.

Good strategy. Here's a useful link for the curious:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

But it can fry your brain with all that detail.

Message 30 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thanks.

I'm sure it will, but nonetheless, I'll give it a try.

Whatever I gleam, the richer I'll be for it. 

Message 31 of 56
gcalli
Guide

@duckware 

I've been trying to go through your 'Understanding Wi-fi'

Quick question if I may please:

2.5GHz - I understand that channels 1,6 & 11 are non-overlapping. I've been using channel 11, but whenever I use a Wi-Fi analyzer, that spectrum seems busy from Neighbours Wi-Fi.

I noticed that channel 13 has never got any activity on it.

No one talks about 13 as it is not a non-overlapping channel.

Couldn't I use it or is it a very weak channel?

Thanks

Message 32 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Channel 13 is perfectly useable in Europe, it has 20 or 22 MHz bandwidth available. Keep in mind fellow @duckware is US based, the limitations he mentions don't are not applicable under the European legislation.  

Message 33 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thanks for that.

I was setting up my Rax43 according to the settings I had used on the R7000, but on the RAX43, they were not optimum.

Today I became adventurous and set the 5Gz to channel DTS 100 - and was pleasantly surprised. The reach is amazing.

Also, on 2.4GHz, set channel 13. Also pleasantly surprised.

Would you perhaps know, for channel 13, should I enable 20/40 MHz coexistence?

On channel 11 it worked better with it disabled.

Thanks.

Message 34 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Scratch the idea of using 40 MHz bandwidth on the 2.4 GHz band.

The crux with using DTS channels is the wait time required (for monitoring the channel usage) before activity is permitted. But this is it, we have to live with it. The average smart clients will start establishing the connection on 2.4 GHz, and then automatically roam to the 5 GHz (or the 6 GHz band where available).

Message 35 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thought so. It was problematic for me.

Thanks for confirming.

Message 36 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Some advice please.

Every now and then, my 5G Wi-Fi signal gives me the following message 'Obtaining IP address......' and then 'No Internet Access'

Short while later it comes right and works.

Trying to resolve this issue, I came across the following article: 

5 Ways to Fix Wi-Fi stuck on Obtaining IP Address (androiddata-recovery.com),

but unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve the issue.

Has anyone perhaps had the same issue and found a solution?

On Router, I have used Address Reservation for most devices, even my mobile phone.

I then used this reserved IP address under Static IP Address for the 5G Wi-Fi as instructed in the article, but phone assigns its own IP - doesn't keep the reserved one, and problem persists.

Also, I can't seem to find 'Ensure Router’s MAC Filter is Disabled'

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fI 

Message 37 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Some further assistance please.

(I asked earlier, and now suddenly notice that my message has disappeared)

Occasionally, my 5G Wi-Fi signal on my Android phone displays a 'Failed to Obtain IP Address' error and then displays 'Obtaining IP Address.......'

Doing some research, I found the following article with solutions.

5 Ways to Fix Wi-Fi stuck on Obtaining IP Address (androiddata-recovery.com)

They suggest I use a Static IP address for the Wi-Fi on the phone, so I did an Address Reservation for the phone's IP address on the router (RAX43) and used that IP address as the Static IP address on the phone.

Problem unfortunately was not resolved.

Then I went to router to 'Ensure Router’s MAC Filter is Disabled' which unfortunately I could not find.

On the router I use Cloudflare DNS, should I then be using it on the phone's Wi-Fi setting page?

Any assistance I can get on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-

Message 38 of 56
gcalli
Guide

I've been trying to ask a question 3 times for assistance re “Failed to Obtain IP Address” Error and each time it seems my message gets deleted.

Why? Have I transgressed in some way? It seems to be related to my routers RAX43 allocation of IP addresses.

Or should I rather quote the witches from Macbeth: 

First Witch: “Thrice the brinded cat hath mew’d.” 

Second Witch: “Thrice and once the hedge-pig whined.”

Message 39 of 56
gcalli
Guide

I need some advice and assistance please.

Occasionally, my 5G Wi-Fi signal on my Android phone displays a 'Failed to Obtain IP Address' error and then changes to 'Obtaining IP Address.......' Eventually it corrects itself.

I’m not sure if this is a RAX43 issue or a phone issue, but as it has to do with obtaining IP addresses, it might be a combination of both.

Doing some research, I found the following article with suggestions:

5 Ways to Fix Wi-Fi stuck on Obtaining IP Address (androiddata-recovery.com)

They suggest I use a Static IP address for the Wi-Fi on the phone, so I did an Address Reservation for the device (phone) IP address on the router (RAX43) and used that IP address as the Static IP on the phone.

Problem unfortunately was not resolved. Phone continued to use another IP address.

Then they suggested that on the router I must find 'Ensure Router’s MAC Filter is Disabled' which unfortunately I could not find. I only found Access control related to MAC addresses.

On the router I use Cloudflare DNS, should I then be using it on the phones Wi-Fi setting page as well?

Any assistance I can get on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 40 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Need some advice and assistance please.

Occasionally, my 5G Wi-Fi signal on my Android phone displays a 'Failed to Obtain IP Address' error and then changes to 'Obtaining IP Address.......' Eventually it corrects itself.

I’m not sure if this is a RAX43 issue or a phone issue, but as it has to do with obtaining IP addresses, it might be a combination of both.

Doing some research, I found the following article with suggestions:

5 Ways to Fix Wi-Fi stuck on Obtaining IP Address (androiddata-recovery com)

They suggest I use a Static IP address for the Wi-Fi on the phone, so I did an Address Reservation for the device (phone) IP address on the router (RAX43) and used that IP address as the Static IP on the phone.

Problem unfortunately was not resolved. Phone continued to use another IP address.

Then they further suggested that on the router I must find 'Ensure Router’s MAC Filter is Disabled' which unfortunately I could not find. I only found Access control related to MAC addresses.

On the router I use Cloudflare DNS, should I then be using it on the phones Wi-Fi setting page as well?

Any assistance I can get on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G

Message 41 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Apologies for all the repetitions.

Can't seem to be able to delete them.

Message 42 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Scratch those ideas. The RX43 does - like every other Netgear and most other consumer and even small business routers - have a DNS replay on board, and the DHCP assigned DNS address is the router LAN IP, so the DNS queries are going to the router configured DNS, e.g. the CloudFlare.

Its more than just unhandy manually and individually configuring all mobile devices for fixed IP, fixed DNS, fixed whatever.

Use the time instead to disable this idiotic randomized MAC (also known as Private Wi-Fi Address in the Apple world) while connecting what is your own managed and operated network where you want (if not really -must- know the effective physical device MAC). Of course, one manufacturer does continue with it's Privacy Warnings -  nonsense as long as you operate on your very own network.

Nothing to change if you are just randomly experiencing 'Failed to Obtain IP Address' message, for changing to 'Obtaining IP Address' and eventually fixing itself anyways.

Message 43 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Thanks. Will do so.

Would using channel 100(DFS) for the Wireless Network 5GHz perhaps be causing it?

Message 44 of 56
schumaku
Guru

@gcalli wrote:

Would using channel 100(DFS) for the Wireless Network 5GHz perhaps be causing it?

Whatever visible or invisible (!!!) usages are active ... think again, we talk of 160 MHz bandwidth.

Message 45 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Mode says up to 1800 MHz: so, it's only 160MHz?

From what I see, coverage is far better and the signal strength much stronger.

Shouldn't I be using DFS?

Message 46 of 56
schumaku
Guru

Remember we talked about the bandwidth on 2.4 GHz where I suggested to stay in the 20 MHz bandwidth range, not combining two channels making up a bandwidth of 40 MHz?

On the 5 GHz band, the max available bandwidth is 160 MHz, on the 6 GHz band the maximum available RF bandwidth is 320 MHz.

I'm not talking about bitrates ... the RAX43 allows AX4300 or 4.3 Gb/s bitrates over a 160 MHz wireless bandwidth. So it should be set to "up to 4300" 8-) ... 1024-QAM modulation for WiFi 6. The older WiFi 5 was built on 256-QAM modulation btw..

It's like Euro (small numbers) and Lira (large numbers). The Esprsso al banca in the bar is still ~1€. 

And hey, decent wireless devices make up to 19000 (and more) on 320 MHz bandwidth thanks to 4096-QAM modulation schemes, so 19 Gb/s bitrate - making up WiFi 7.

And don't be confused ... I've just read that some community member wrote the CAT7 cable supplied with his RS700  is not allowing variable speeds. Now I need Grappa -and- a big glass of Limoncello. Technology inflation 8-)

Message 47 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Point taken. Thanks.

Message 48 of 56
gcalli
Guide

Hi Guys.

Quick question please:

In my routers log files, I notice quite a few DoS attacks: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 68 

and RST Scan] from RST Scan] from source 142.251.47.202,port 443 which I don't recognise.

DoS protection is ENABLED.

Should I be worried?

What should I do?

Thanks.

Message 49 of 56

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 50 of 56
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series