× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Connect TIVO Roamio OTA to Nighthawk RAX29....

stothjr
Aspirant

Unable to Connect TIVO Roamio OTA to Nighthawk RAX29....

A few weeks ago I replaced my old Netgear R6700 WiFi Router with a Nighthawk AX2400 RAX29. All our devices connected to it without any trouble (I used the same SSID and router password used in my old router) except for one device.

As you can guess from the Subject line above, I've been struggling for several hours trying to establish a wireless connection between the TIVO Roamio OTA DVR to the RAX29 router.

As I go through the wireless network connection process on the TIVO DVR, the TIVO does list the router's "SSID Name" and "SSID-5G Name" names. I can choose either and a prompt is displayed to enter the password. After the password is entered, the TIVO processes for a few seconds then issues an error code 'C26'. Doing some digging, I was able to determine the TIVO unit appears to want Port 80 opened for the wireless connection.

As a test, I connected the TIVO to the RAX29 via an Ethernet cable and a connection was quickly established. A message was also issues that Port 80 was being used.  I disconnected the Ethernet cable and attempted to connect the TIVO wirelessly to the RAX29; but again would not connect.

I then did a "factory reset" of the TIVO DVR.  But when the TIVO set up process got to the point of the TIVO establishing a wireless connection to the RAX29, the same error occurred. 

I contacted TIVO support; but they were not helpful at all. I'm hoping someone here on the forum can shed a little light on what I can do to resolve this issue.

RAX29 Router Firmware: v1.0.10.94_3

Message 1 of 9

Re: Unable to Connect TIVO Roamio OTA to Nighthawk RAX29....

Did you try this?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – TIVO Roamio

A few possible leads there.

Message 2 of 9
stothjr
Aspirant

Hi Michael...

I did look at these...but none were related to the problems I'm experiencing.

BTW....the TIVO Error Code I'm getting is a C206......NOT C26.

I finally heard back from TIVO. They sent me an email with the following info....

====================================================================

Which Network Ports and IP Addresses Need to be Open When Using my TiVo DVR?

Getting Started

Discover which ports must be open inside your router so that your TiVo DVR can access online services. Please be aware that there are many variations of routers, software, and settings that are unique to each computer.

The Outbound Port that needs to be opened in my router is Port 80. 

According to TiVo Support, the service does not require any INBOUND access from the internet into the home network, but the TiVo box does require some OUTBOUND traffic to reach the internet and the TiVo service. 

TiVo set top boxes and TiVo Desktop software must be able to access the TiVo service to enable features, access content, and perform updates.

I'm hoping you would be able to provide me guidance on how I would go about making this change in my router.

Message 3 of 9

@stothjr wrote:

TiVo set top boxes and TiVo Desktop software must be able to access the TiVo service to enable features, access content, and perform updates.

I'm hoping you would be able to provide me guidance on how I would go about making this change in my router.

Until an expert steps in, I'd start with the Netgear manual:

Manuals are always a good place to start. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

This really is something that TiVo should be able to answer. Its customers have a limited number of router brands to work with. About a half a dozen popular manufacturers.

Router makers will find it hard to keep up with the many thousands of devices their customers use.

Message 4 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Definitely not an expert.

A couple of configuration options, you might try testing with IGMP Proxy (enable/disable).  Also NAT filtering (enable/disable).

Message 5 of 9
Razor512
Prodigy

For the WiFi settings of the router, is the router using WPA3 or WPA 2+3 instead of just WPA2?

Message 6 of 9
stothjr
Aspirant

Hello Kitsap....

I'm responding to let you know that I'm not ignoring you/your suggestions and help. I've been distracted by "Honey Do's" that I need to get done.

As soon as I get those done, I will check out/try your suggestions; which are greatly appreciated!

Message 7 of 9
stothjr
Aspirant

Hi Razor512.....

Same response to you as well....I'm responding to let you know that I'm not ignoring you/your suggestions and help. I've been distracted by "Honey Do's" that I need to get done.

As soon as I get those done, I will check out and answer your questions. I do sincerely appreciate your help in resolving my issues.

Message 8 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@stothjr wrote:

Hello Kitsap....

I'm responding to let you know that I'm not ignoring you/your suggestions and help. I've been distracted by "Honey Do's" that I need to get done.

As soon as I get those done, I will check out/try your suggestions; which are greatly appreciated!

Understand.....

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7