× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi issues on CAX80

Intro
Guide

WiFi issues on CAX80

Hello everyone, I purchased a CAX80 trying to get off of rental fees through Cox Communications but I've seem to hit an issue. Looking at all my WiFi enabled devices they show a full signal while looking at the Nighthawk app everything has a poor signal. So I tried moving around checking signal strength and picked the best location I could. Then I used Inssider to check channels and I chose the channels with the least interference in my Neighborhood. I connected my devices to the Wifi with anything in close proximity on 5ghz and the rest on 2.5ghz. Now my TV a Samsung Q7Fn 65 Has never had any issues with streaming services until I switched to this Combo Modem. It buffers or won't load News Sources like CNN Go or Haystack TV. Tells me I have Connection Issues and I haven't found a way to resolve it. I've gone through Netgear's Tech Support Chat and the last thing they've asked me to do after going through most of the settings was to ask for a firmware reflash through my ISP which I'm guessing they don't have because they never gave me a solid answer or confirmation that they did it. last thing that was said to me through my ISP was to contact Netgear... I explained that I was asked to get the firmware reflashed since thats what it says on the firmware update page for this specific model.. Lastly Netgear asked me to get it replaced with another one if that didn't work. . I've done so and I'm still getting the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advanced!!

-Intro

Message 1 of 10
Intro
Guide

Re: WiFi issues on CAX80

I did forget to mention that: Yes, my wired connection is getting the speeds its supposed to. My WiFi speeds are poor and there seems to be a bad latency issue. Wired I'm pinging in the ranges of 7-9 consistently Wireless between the ranges of 22-300+

Message 2 of 10
Shanew29
Aspirant

I've had similar issues. Not as bad you though. Only when playing online games I downloaded from Google play store does connection in game on game state connection lost, reconnect to game. When playing another game it buffers for a few or lags. I didn't experience this at all on my Motorola mg7550. Any help would be appreciated 🙏. Otherwise this $429.99 is going back. Junk.
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Is your tv on the 5ghz stream or the 2.4ghz? 

Are you using smart connect? 

what firmware version is on the router portion of the CAX80? (i know the modem and router have seperate firmwares)

Message 4 of 10
Intro
Guide

Sorry for the delayed response was looking at other threads that recently popped up and have been working with the netgear tier2 support over the phone and through email and this is a mess. I'm really coming to the conclusion that the CAX80 just wasn't ready.

I've tried both 2.4 and 5ghz

I've played with smartconnect on and off checked interference channels I've done a lot but but have been left with "engineering has replicated the issue and are trying to sort it out" But still to no avail.

Firmware V. 1.1.0.41

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

I'm wondering if it isn't an issue with cox. I've seen mutliple reports about the cax80 but the common thread seems to be when its a cox provider. I've used one on xfinity for months and the thing was a rock star. 

Message 6 of 10
Intro
Guide

Yeah its just a shame that ultimately I was trying to futureproof my situation and save money I thought I was smart enough to figure this bit out, I've worked with in home networking for other people and its been relatively simple to do with wireshark inssider etc, everything has been intuitive. Understanding power levels has been simple. Now the actual workings of how it all comes together.. May be a bit beyond me. All I know is that my spouse works from home now and she has dropped video conference connections a couple times and its putting us in a fix.

Side question though. I did buy the eax 80 to extend from one side of the building to the other but is the CAX80 Moca Compliant? the eax80 isn't as friendly through so many walls

Thanks for the information again Plemans!

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

The cax80 doesn't have any moca capability built in. 

I'd also recommend the EAX80 not be at the "other side" of the building. It should be midway between where you want the connection and where the router is. 

What speeds do you pay for on upload? many make the mistake having say a 100mbps download speed but only 3-5mbps upload and that can create issues. 

do you have issues if the computer that's doing the video conferencing is in the same room? 

Also, what computer is it with what wireless chipset? Some drivers weren't updated for AX through windows and the device manufacturer (think dell/hp) and needed to be directly updated through the device (think intel) manufacturer instead. 

Message 8 of 10
Intro
Guide

940mbps down 35mbps up,

I'm in a tough position with the extender because the way the house is set up is we live in the main home where the CAX80 is and then our office is an extended quarters about 70ft point to point but two exterior walls in the way. She's done the conferencing where the CAX80 is with little to no issue. 

the chipset is fine and up to date Its running a Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

I just had high hopes for this maybe I'm doing something wrong my biggest frustration is that my samsung smart tv has issues with certain apps including the built in ones. 

Computers I can do networking not so much. I was just tired of the crap that cox was pulling with my bill so I cut as much as I could including their rental fees and its kind of biting me back.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try this. 

shut off the extender. test the main router in several positions inside the main home (not through the exterior walls). Make sure the primary router is fine. Reason to shut off the extend is so devices aren't "roaming" to it when their still inside the primary home and being unstable.

If it is, then it isn't an issue with the CAX80. 

Exterior walls can create issues. Reason why is they tend to have more permanant protections on them versus interior walls. Interior walls tend to be wood/sheetrock. The exteriors with cement, cement board, metal siding, foil lined insulation, all do a great job of blocking wifi. 

With the "mesh" capability of the EAX80, it could be roaming to it when the walls are creating blockages/drops/interference. 

what are those "exterior" walls made of? 

Any chance of getting an ethernet wire through them and hardwiring in the EAX80 to cover the extended quarters? 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7