× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000-Netgear Armor

Runts
Follower

XR1000-Netgear Armor

Hello peeps,

I'm considering the netgear armor subscription. I have two questions. First off, is it worth the price? Secondly, if I upgrade my router again down the road, will the subscription be able to be transferred from the router it was purchased on to the new router?

Thanks! 🙂

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: XR1000-Netgear Armor

Is it worth it? 

Depends on your home and how computer/tech savvy people are. I use a base antivirus/malware suite but thats in. at my parents, I have a fairly extensive setup as they don't know what not to click on. 

Is it transferable? Yes you can move it from one to the next. You have to contact support to do so but it is doable. 

Message 2 of 3
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: XR1000-Netgear Armor

It depends on activities done on the network. For example if someone is frequently getting their system infected via sources such as malvertising (many ad networks will prioritize cash over safety and will host some truly evil stuff). Armor can intercet requests to malicious ads and various other domains. It also works for the opportunist malwaye distributions, e.g., whe a new version of minecraft is reeased, and mods such as optifine is has not been updated to support it yet, tons of malwaye domains will pretent to offer an updated version of optifine that is actually ransomware that also dumps your passwords before encrypting data. Armor also works well with stuff like that.

The main limitation, is that it does not monitor large files, for example if an update server for a trusted application gets compromised, it likely wil not detect it, and the only line of defense willl be your antivirus software.

If you maintain safe practices online, and not downloading anything that you didn't go looking for, as well as being aware of when a site or file seems a bit shady, then the Armor service will likely not offer much of a benefit to you.

PS most malvertising can be solved by using an adblocker such as ublock origin, but one area where browser level protection of that type doesn't work, is when an explot is used to get a malicious file into a temp folder nd leverage another explout to get the system to execute the malicious file.

The Armor trial should work for most people to figure out if it is a benefit for your use cases.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7