× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: devices get kicked off wifi for RAX40 intermittently everyday never to connect back unless resta

devices get kicked off wifi for RAX40 intermittently everyday never to connect back unless restarted

i expereince wifi drops everyday. i have only observed my wifi 6 devices disconnecting from the wifi. after which reconnecting is impossible. I get the error could'nt get IP on my phone. i have tried AP mode with no success. Firmware Version V1.0.3.80_1.0.1, encrypsion mode for both wifi set to WPA2-Personal[AES] + WPA3- Personal.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

Re: devices get kicked off wifi for RAX40 intermittently everyday never to connect back unless resta

I have experienced similar disconnects with a RAX35 using firmware version 1.0.3.80. You may want to view the "RAX40 Firmware 1.0.3.80 Crash/Bug Log" discussion. I disabled AX on the router and still experience disconnects but often I can reconnect back. Occasionally the router will completely lockup and a power cycle is needed.

Message 2 of 14
rax40user
Tutor

Same here. It's not a stable device. Pretty strange Netgear didn't provide a solution until now. I did the factory reset, turn off AX, no help. Netgear replaced one for me, but now I'm worried to use it again. All the Netgear devices I used before NEVER have such problem.

Message 3 of 14
Eagle-Two
Apprentice

@rax40user  If you use your replacement router let us know if you still experience the same issues and the hardware version number. I was thinking about requesting an RMA but was hoping to get some type of confirmation a replacement router would resolve some of the issues.

Message 4 of 14

Sadly I'm cant get a replacement device. I need a fix. Im Wondering if its because of the last firmware update that brought the smart connect.
Message 5 of 14
rax40user
Tutor

I'll try, not using it yet. Planning to just use it for my TV for testing.Will keep you posted.

Message 6 of 14
rax40user
Tutor

@Eagle-Two The hardware version of my replacement is R1.05. Just start using it now, don't know it's OK or not.

Message 7 of 14
itsmehuey
Luminary

@rax40user wrote:

@Eagle-Two The hardware version of my replacement is R1.05. Just start using it now, don't know it's OK or not.

hardware version is exactly same as all previous ones (mine is also R1.05 and this is not a replacement).. the issue is definitely not due to hardware faults but due to extremely buggy firmware which Netgear still has not addressed even after months of user complaints. How can they leave their users hanging for so long with such a widespread issue? Most of us paid over $300 (Australian) for this router only to have crappy firmware and even crappier support.

Message 8 of 14

i feel you. i think its exactly that. firmware. specifically i think it might have something to do with the smart connect. just an update guys. i hard reset mine and then flashed over the firmware. when setting up i adjusted as little settings as possible. i use mine dhcp instead of an AP. and ofdma and qos turned on im using WPA2-Personal[AES] + WPA3-Personal. since i have not had the issue. the only new setting that came with the resent firmware was that stupid smart connect. i tried the feature multiple times and i think thats what messed it up. additionally i made sure to forget the old network. let me know if this works for u guys. just trying to be helpful since u cant even get support from them after your warranty is up.

Message 9 of 14
rax40user
Tutor

@Eagle-Two The router crash after two days, same problem. Got this one returned and bought RAX20 instead, running without any problem. I think the problem of RAX40 is the heat problem, I can feel it's hot. RAX20, not so hot, just a little bit warm.

Message 10 of 14
itsmehuey
Luminary

OK folks we may be getting somewhere. I just got off the phone with a L2 support rep as my case was esclated by Christian_R. I was provided with an updated beta firmware (RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.6) which I'll be testing over the next day or so. All seems OK at the moment but it's still too far to tell. I currently have AX disabled, but I will be enabling it soon to see if it works on this firmware version. 

Also, I no longer have issues with my TP-Link KASA KP303 smart power strips crashing my router whenever it tries to establish a connection.

Fingers crossed this beta will be good to go to be released as an official build.

@rax40user wrote:

@Eagle-Two The router crash after two days, same problem. Got this one returned and bought RAX20 instead, running without any problem. I think the problem of RAX40 is the heat problem, I can feel it's hot. RAX20, not so hot, just a little bit warm.

I don't think it's a heat problem - see what I mentioned above.

Message 11 of 14
Myrouter533
Aspirant

Hi do you have any improvements with beta version? We are still having the same issue and have not seen any updates released yet
Message 12 of 14
itsmehuey
Luminary

@Myrouter533 wrote:
Hi do you have any improvements with beta version? We are still having the same issue and have not seen any updates released yet

Hi yes I definitely do. I haven't had any dropouts on the beta firmware RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.6 and also just received an updated beta RAX40-V1.0.3.83_1.0.10. Both are performing strong so far. I am going to test and monitor for a few more days before I provide the L2 support team with my update.

Message 13 of 14
StuartHair
Aspirant

Hi all. It sounds like your problems are very similar to mine and I just can't get any sense out of Netgear.

The dropouts seem random, but then each time I come home with my iPhone in my pocket, it drops out again. Generally most of the devices will reconnect except the wife's Samsung phone that tells her it can't get an ip address. Then we have to power sycle to fix it.

Tech support tried a few things to no avail, so now it's had a few master resets. We took our first one back to JB HiFi after almost a year of frustration and the new one does the same thing. It's looking like this one may also be going back, but for a refund this time.

Firmware version is V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 and the app tells me there are no updates available, but I not a tech guru at all, just had to do a lot of learning over the phone with them. Certainly won't be buying anymore Netgear products!

Please.......any ideas or simple setting changes would be greatly apreciated.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7