× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wifi drops when laptop connects, wired connection fine

WirelessGrating
Aspirant

wifi drops when laptop connects, wired connection fine

My Router: Nighthawk RAX43      

Firmware Version: V1.0.12.120_2.0.83

I have been using this router in my small office (4 people) for a few months with no issues. Recently (no manual firmware upgrade, does it do auto upgrades?) when my laptop, a Dell XPS17 with a wifi6 intel AX1650s, connects to the network it drops connection over wifi for all other connected devices pretty much instantly. As soon as I disable my wifi, the connection returns for all others. I can plug in a wired connection to the router and it works at all times, regardless if my laptop is connected to the wifi or not. It appears to connect at first, then when attempting to access anything over the network (google.com for instance) it hangs, and then eventually windows reports that the connection has no internet. I still appear to be connected to the router's SSID, but I cant even browse to the route at 192.168.1.1.

I am up to date on all of the windows updates, and dell specific updates on my laptop. I dont understand what could have changed. What is happening?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
WirelessGrating
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Users reported having problems with this version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/New-RAX43-RAX50-Firmware-Version-1...

If the factory reset doesn't resolve this issue, you might revert back to prior working version of FW. 

I performed a factory reset and manually added all my settings as well as set the DHCP range to .100 to .200. So far so good and things seem to be working. I'll keep an eye on it. This is not a good look for Netgear...

Thank you @FURRYe38 for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/New-RAX43-RAX50-Firmware-Version-1...

If the factory reset doesn't resolve this issue, you might revert back to prior working version of FW. 

Message 2 of 8
WirelessGrating
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

• I am in a shared business incubator building on a university campus. I do not know what network hardware they have in the server room. I imagine it is enterprise grade and running on a T1/T3 line.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

• Yes I am running on auto channel on 2.4Ghz up to 660Mbps. The 5Ghz is set to channel 44 up to 3600Mbps. I haven't tried other settings for channels. I'll give it a shot but I don't hold out much hope.

• Being in a shared space, yes there are quite a few wifi buddies nearby. A SSID scan shows 15+ SSIDs in the area. It was never a problem before and looking at a wifi scanner the signal from our router is the strongest.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

• The router has been power cycled many times while troubleshooting. I am unable to power off the modem as it is in the server room of the shared space.

• I have not done a factory reset. I will give that a shot. If I wanted to revert to the previous version of firmware, where would I find that file?

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@WirelessGrating wrote:

• I am in a shared business incubator building on a university campus. I do not know what network hardware they have in the server room. I imagine it is enterprise grade and running on a T1/T3 line.

• Yes I am running on auto channel on 2.4Ghz up to 660Mbps. The 5Ghz is set to channel 44 up to 3600Mbps. I haven't tried other settings for channels. I'll give it a shot but I don't hold out much hope.

• Being in a shared space, yes there are quite a few wifi buddies nearby. A SSID scan shows 15+ SSIDs in the area. It was never a problem before and looking at a wifi scanner the signal from our router is the strongest. < I'll have to check with my RAX50 as I don't remember right off hand, however might see if there is a power setting for wifi signal. If you have lots of neighboring wifi signals, lowering the power on your router can help with interferences from neighboring wifi signals...Maybe power setting under Basic Tab/Wireless or Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings/ Just not sure if these RAX models have this feature support or not.

• The router has been power cycled many times while troubleshooting. I am unable to power off the modem as it is in the server room of the shared space.

• I have not done a factory reset. I will give that a shot. If I wanted to revert to the previous version of firmware, where would I find that file?

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Message 4 of 8
WirelessGrating
Aspirant

I dont see any power options under the basic wireless settings.

Under the advanced wireless settings I have a few options.

• Enable (checked)
  • Fragmentation Length (2346)
  • CTS/RTS Threshold (2347)
  • Beamforming (checked)
  • MU-MIMO (unchecked)
  • Disable PMF (checked)
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Dang, Ok, If you don't see that then I guess not. Lowering the power helps with wifi noise. Let us know if the other suggestions help. 

Message 6 of 8
WirelessGrating
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I performed a factory reset and manually added all my settings as well as set the DHCP range to .100 to .200. So far so good and things seem to be working. I'll keep an eye on it. This is not a good look for Netgear...

Thank you @FURRYe38 for your help.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh good to hear. Hope it keeps working. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7