× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RS280 Laptop doesn’t recognize WiFi

Gryzing71
Tutor

RS280 Laptop doesn’t recognize WiFi

Full disclosure I’m a novice in this realm, so take it easy on me. I have a Lenovo work laptop and it will not recognize this router as being a WiFi connection. I get error code 10 when I go to device manager and navigate to the WiFi setting. This means not only will the laptop not recognize this router but it shuts off the ability to connect WiFi altogether. I’m not an admin on the PC since it’s work issued, so I have limited capabilities. In contrast, my decade old r7000 connects no problem, which is frustrating. I’m hoping to get some help here or I’ll inevitably have to return this item to Costco. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Whatever the "old" 7000 was configured, this looks like a problem with your work-supplied notebook, specifically outdated drivers, and possibly a dual-band Wi-Fi adapter only.

Because of the RS280 is a tri-band Wi-Fi, offering 2.4, 5, and 6 GHz, with 6 GHz mandatory WPA3-SAE security (or the WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE mixed mode), either the adapter or a least the drivers can't cope with. 

Contact your business IT support for an update or upgrade.

Temporary workaround  Disable Smart Connect, nd set the Security Options to WPA2-Personal (==WPA2-PSK). When Smart Connect is disabled, this is the default setting for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi networks. WPA2-Personal provides a secure and fast connection but some older WiFi devices do not detect WPA2 and support only WPA. If your WiFi network includes these older devices, select WPA-Personal + WPA2-Personal security.

Not a Netgear problem at all, and no reason to return the wonderful RS280 to Costco. Once the issue with the work notebook is addressed nd confirmed fixed by business IT, you can undo the changes and get the maximum out of your RS280 again for your own private and the business notebook.

Message 2 of 9
Gryzing71
Tutor

Thank you so much for the informative reply. I will connect with my IT on your insights and see what can be done! I will update here. Thanks again!
Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

A possible starting point - assuming there is an Intel-based Wi-Fi adapter in that notebook could be Intel® Driver & Support Assistant nicely listing all the adapters under This PC - Devices and drivers

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

what wireless card is in the laptop and what driver is installed. 

Some of the older intel chips won't even update with the automatic update assistant and need to be manually updated. 

Message 5 of 9
Gryzing71
Tutor

Intel(R) WiFi 6E AX210 160mhz

Does this need to be a WiFi 7 card?
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Gryzing71 wrote:
Intel(R) WiFi 6E AX210 160mhz----solid card. 

Does this need to be a WiFi 7 card?---to connect to the network? No. The AX210 will work fine. If you want it connected with wifi 7 specs, then sure. But its not needed as it should be backwards compatible. Did you install the latest driver for the ax210? And which one was it? Is your laptop managed through your IT department? I've got that wireless card in 2 different devices and it connects to my wifi 7 routers fine (have 3 right now). 

Message 7 of 9
Gryzing71
Tutor

Again, thanks for the great input here. This community is great.

My PC is managed by my IT department so I will ask for them to look into updating the driver.
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Gryzing71 wrote:
Again, thanks for the great input here. This community is great.

My PC is managed by my IT department so I will ask for them to look into updating the driver.----Stinks if they don't even let you update drivers. But it is what it is if thats the case. Are you able to check which one you have? 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series