× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RS700 - Disable 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz band

Andran
Aspirant

RS700 - Disable 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz band

I would like to disable the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands on my RS700. I noticed that there is no option to do so in the settings. I tried disabling these bands by using the scheduler, but found that this does not actually work (please let me know how exactly to do it correctly if I missed something here).

The reason why I want to disable the lower bands:

I use the RS700 as a dedicated router for streaming to a VR headset on the 6Ghz band. I use another router and its 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands for my other devices, and I don't want the RS700 to create unnecessary interference on these bands that conflict with my other router and uses up resources on the RS700.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Since each radio is a different frequency, they would not be generating interferences between each other. 

If you have another router, then would be some interferences however if you change the channels between the RS and this other router to far apart channels then this would limit interferences between each wifi router. Distances between each other is important as well. Farther apart is recommended. 

Is there any enable or disable broadcast on the RS web page under Advanced tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless settings? 

Message 2 of 11
Andran
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. No there is no option to enable the broadcast on the RS700 anywhere in the settings (including the advanced section on the web-page access. That is for the current firmware V1.0.7.82_2.0.80.

I tested another router (another brand, but also an expensive one) where for some reason performance on the 6Ghz improved by disabling the other bands, so I would like to do this on the RS700 as well.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that may not be supported on the RS. 
Something to ask NG about.

@BH-C 

Message 4 of 11
Andran
Aspirant

I wanted to add that the scheduler can act as a work-around. I seem to have misconfigured something earlier, but it works now. I set a separate schedule with a daily start time of 3:30 am and end time of 3:00 am to disable the 2.4Ghz, and the 5Ghz bands, which means the bands I don't want are disabled most of the time (23.5 hours a day).

It works fine, but still seems a bit of an inelegant solution for such an expensive device.

Performance otherwise is top-notch for VR, though.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found a work around then. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Message 6 of 11
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Andran, We removed the radio on/off function from RS700 due to some implemntation considerations. The WiFi Scheduler function turns off all bands, the 6GHz for your VR headset is turned off as well, so does the function work for you?

Message 7 of 11
Andran
Aspirant

Thank you for replying.

You say that the scheduler turns off all bands. However, thankfully this is not true.

I can use the scheduler to turn off the bands individually. So I set a separate schedule for the 2.4 Ghz band and the 5 Ghz band. I do not set a schedule for the 6 Ghz band, so that that does not turn off.

It works okay, except that the Wifi turns on the lower bands for half an hour each day, as can be seen in the log.

I would appreciate if you could add the option back in if it is possible. I can accept that this may not be possible, but yes if it is possible I would prefer that solution.

Message 8 of 11
Coliuto99
Initiate

I've just bought the RS700 and I can confirm that its not possible to disabling the Wifi network, even using the latest firmware 1.0.7.86

The scheduler is not an optimal option, because it still forces the wifi station to be turned back on for half an hour every day.

At least, if the scheduler could be configured from minute to minute instead of from half hour to half hour it would certainly be much better

Couldn't you reintroduce the option to turn off wifi like in many other Netgear products?

It is quite surprising that for a product in this price range such basic options are lacking.

Message 9 of 11
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

We've been seriously considering to add the radio on/off function to RS700, but I just cannot share the timeline for the release. As soon as we have the trial firmware available before the official release, I will post it here. Thanks.

Message 10 of 11
Coliuto99
Initiate

Hi BH-C,

thank you for the response

I'm glad to hear that you are considering reintroducing the feature on the RS700.

Let us know as soon as beta firmware is available.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series