× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RS700 not connecting to internet

nooope307
Tutor

RS700 not connecting to internet

Hello,

I recently purchased a Nighthawk RS700 to set up with my Charter Spectrum internet. Working with 500 MB/s down and I wanted to boost the signal in my house. I cannot get the RS700 to find an internet connection. I switched my router to my older Nighthawk AR500 and have zero issues with internet connection. Does anyone have suggestions on the potential issue? I have done multiple modem and router restarts. I factory reset the RS700. No luck. I am really hoping to use the upgrade.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
nooope307
Tutor

I managed to find the answer. I dont think the RS700 is capable of handling the Cat8 cable I was using on the AR500. I switched the modem to router cable to the provided Cat 6 cable in the box. Now I have internet connection.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
nooope307
Tutor

I should mention I tried the Netgear genie a couple times with no luck.

Message 2 of 8
nooope307
Tutor

I managed to find the answer. I dont think the RS700 is capable of handling the Cat8 cable I was using on the AR500. I switched the modem to router cable to the provided Cat 6 cable in the box. Now I have internet connection.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 4 of 8
nooope307
Tutor

Appreciate the response; see my third comment. It was the LAN cable. I had to drop from Cat8 to Cat6.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@nooope307 wrote:

I dont think the RS700 is capable of handling the Cat8 cable I was using on the AR500. I switched the modem to router cable to the provided Cat 6 cable in the box. Now I have internet connection.

Hard to imagine - the cause seems to be much more likely that many devices can't handle these (expensive, overpriced, ...) cables. So called CAT 8 and CAT 8.1 cables and connectors are qualified to deal with 2000 MHz bandwidth - that makes up 40 Gbit/s over just 30 meters. All the marketplaces are full with reports and complaints that these cables simply "don't work".

These cables make - honestly spoken - no sense in any home and most small business network environments, certainly not in the days of the year 2024. On one hand, you don't have any devices or switches operating on 40 Gbit/s. CAT 6a supporting 500 MHz qualified (or similar CAT 7 supporting 1000 MHz or 1 GHz qualified) cables are perfectly sufficient for a 10 Gb Ethernet copper link - and all these operate reliably. What's not the case with these CAT 8 or CAT 8.1 stuff. None of these will make your network any faster or more reliable. Facts proof exactly the opposite. The net is full with reports. Last but not least, these cables are much more rigid, thicker, much less flexible, had to route around objects, ...

For these (and many more reasons) lading edge manufacturers launching 40Gbps and 56 Gbps over copper link are making use of a connector system similar to the SFF-8431 and SFF-8679 specifications - this is what both the networking and the storage industry is using. Confusion included, the first victims already asked in this community for "how to configure an DAC-cable" to work on an Ethernet switch. Answer: You can't - different communication protocol. And the story continues. SFP28 (25G), QSFP+ (40 G), QSFP+ (56G), and QSFP28 (100G) already exist in the field.

Modern cabling systems like the Swiss https://www.rdm.com/cat-8-1/ are making use of zones - depending of the usage - 24m/40GB/s, 50m/25GB/s, and 90m/10GB/s.

Message 7 of 8
nooope307
Tutor

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I bought those Cat8 cables off Amazon some time ago and honestly never really researched their quality or specs. I saw some gains on my old router and just assumed they were an improvement.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7