Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device identification

Huntsman61
Aspirant

Device identification

My Orbi device list multiple devices under the same name. (i.e Apple) I know I can rename them by clicking on them, but how do I determine which is which so I can properly label them?
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Device identification

Reading through this again, I neglected to mention a common issue with modern software for mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops).  There is almost a mania about being "tracked"*. The newest software for Android, Apple, and various laptops includes a feature to "anonymize" the MAC address.  So, rather than connect to WiFi networks using the physical hardware MAC address, the device invents a pseudo MAC address that is different for every WiFi network.  No longer can the FBI (CIA, Google, whoever) say, "aha!  This phone has been to Starbucks, to the Kaiser Hospital, to the Hilton Hotel, to ....wherever....  Wonder which userswe know who goes to those places???  (And, at these times?)

I find this extremely annoying when trying to assign IP addresses and label devices, so every time my phone, tablet, laptop software gets updated and that feature gets turned on again, I go into network settings and turn it back off.  (so there!)

* Remind me, what was part of the compelling evidence that led to the arrest of the (alleged) murderer in Idaho?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Every device has a unique Media Access Control (MAC) address:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address 

These usually appear in the Network settings or under "About" device.  Many devices have the MAC address printed on the product label.  I do not do "fruit" devices, so am not familiar with how to find their MAC address.  Suggest Google search.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Reading through this again, I neglected to mention a common issue with modern software for mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops).  There is almost a mania about being "tracked"*. The newest software for Android, Apple, and various laptops includes a feature to "anonymize" the MAC address.  So, rather than connect to WiFi networks using the physical hardware MAC address, the device invents a pseudo MAC address that is different for every WiFi network.  No longer can the FBI (CIA, Google, whoever) say, "aha!  This phone has been to Starbucks, to the Kaiser Hospital, to the Hilton Hotel, to ....wherever....  Wonder which userswe know who goes to those places???  (And, at these times?)

I find this extremely annoying when trying to assign IP addresses and label devices, so every time my phone, tablet, laptop software gets updated and that feature gets turned on again, I go into network settings and turn it back off.  (so there!)

* Remind me, what was part of the compelling evidence that led to the arrest of the (alleged) murderer in Idaho?

Message 3 of 5
Huntsman61
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the replies. Your second post in particular was what I was looking for. I am not an IT wizard by any means, but I know just enough to get myself in trouble from time to time. Your reply confirms what I thought was happening as the reason I could not identify the devices because MAC addresses were not matching up, but I needed validation of what I thought I knew. Once again, thank you CrimpOn for taking the time to assist a novice.
Message 4 of 5

@CrimpOn wrote:

The newest software for Android, Apple, and various laptops includes a feature to "anonymize" the MAC address. 

There's even a setting to enable this in Windows 11!

Use random hardware addresses in Windows 11 - Search

No thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7