Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 shows offline, but has Internet access

djhurlburt
Apprentice

Orbi RBR50 shows offline, but has Internet access

There was a thread on this particular subject, but it is closed, so I need to reopen it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-shows-offline-but-has-Internet-access/m-p/1556291

My Orbi RBR50 has 2 satellites.  I connect it directly to my SB6141 modem.  I also have 3 hardwired devices connected to my Orbi unit.  When I look at the network map in my Orbi mobile device app, it shows the 2 satellites with green light connected.  It shows the internet is green.  However the orbi main router device shows a red dot.  The main app page shows "no internet" but if I use the app to do an internet speed check, it shows me getting 242 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.  

Because I use the orbi as a router and not just an Access Point (AP), I don't think I should configure my Orbi in AP mode.  But that's just a guess from various quick reads.  

I've recycled the power on both devices - serially - that is, I've powered them both down, I've plugged in the modem to make sure an internet connection is established, and then I plug in the Orbi main router device.

It looks like my Router Firmware Version is V2.3.5.30

I don't think it matters, but my home computer is Win10Pro, but just being complete based on what this form is asking

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 shows offline, but has Internet access

You can't use the Orbi in AP mode as your ISP Modem doesnt' have a built in router. It's just a modem only. 

I would update to v2.5.1.8 on the RBS first, then RBR, then factory reset the system and setup from scratch. While the reset is happening ON the RBR, power OFF the isp modem for 30 seconds then back ON. 

Walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR with a wired PC and web browser and setup the system. Then check the Orbi app. Ensure the app is up to date as well. 

Message 2 of 7
Anielo0
Initiate

The same thing happened to me when I was prompted by the ORBI app to update my firmware. 

(Orbi RBR50 )  then the app showed the router as a red dot but the satellite as green. It was saying that I was offline ( orbi connected remotely  )  BUT  I could still connect to the internet and speed was OK . Everything still worked except   my google home mini.

This is where I get royally ripped off by netgear.

Because my unit is 1 year old, no further support unless you pay a $200 subscription. 

Remember my problem started when I was prompted to update firmware by the netgear app.

Paid my money.

Spoke to a netgear professional.  

Told me to UNINSTALL THE APP AND REINSTALL,  LOG IN,  PROBLEM SOLVED. 

I hope nobody else out there gets ripped off.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Please post about this over in the Orbi app forum as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Thank you. 

@Anielo0 wrote:

The same thing happened to me when I was prompted by the ORBI app to update my firmware. 

(Orbi RBR50 )  then the app showed the router as a red dot but the satellite as green. It was saying that I was offline ( orbi connected remotely  )  BUT  I could still connect to the internet and speed was OK . Everything still worked except   my google home mini.

This is where I get royally ripped off by netgear.

Because my unit is 1 year old, no further support unless you pay a $200 subscription. 

Remember my problem started when I was prompted to update firmware by the netgear app.

Paid my money.

Spoke to a netgear professional.  

Told me to UNINSTALL THE APP AND REINSTALL,  LOG IN,  PROBLEM SOLVED. 

I hope nobody else out there gets ripped off.

Message 4 of 7
MMTRashid
Aspirant

I had the same problem and the following changed the status to Online:

1) Setup the RBR50 with a Satellite and get the firmware updated. At this stage the Orbi App will show your Internet status: Offline but you will have access to Internet (assuming your Modem has access to Internet and it's working fine);

2) Now RESET the Router and the Satellite by poking the reset button for more than 10 secods. Restart the Router and Satellite;

3) Uninstall the Orbi App and download and reinstall on your mobile. Turn off mobile data;

4) Go to Orbi App to setup the RBR50 again. This time you will see the status showing: Online

My guess, the Firmware update needs to be done before setting up the system.

Try this and share your experience. Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
Gruano
Aspirant

Can confirm that if you are having the issue of showing offline but still having internet access all you have to do is:
RESET both router and satellite
Delete ORBI app
Reinstall ORBI app
Choose NEW SET UP
And start the process back from square one.

Something about doing a firmware update during the initial start up process messes this up. Anyway, hope this helps!
Message 6 of 7
djhurlburt
Apprentice

I've tried this.  Doesn't seem to help.  My routerlogin shows everything is ONLINE and both satellites are connected; my Orbi App on my android, which I've deleted and reinstalled (then relogged in) shows the router not connected to the internet nor neither satellite connected.  The routerlogin through chrome shows my upstairs satellite having 192.168.1.16 - but the app shows it as .18.  SMH.  Very disappointed.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7