Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 "Unable to connect to router" message

bizbeer
Guide

RBR850 "Unable to connect to router" message

I have the RBR850 Router (and two satellites).   I am connected to all of them via wifi.   My orbi app shows that several of my devices are connected directly to the router.   Yet I keep getting a message on the app that says "Unable to connect to router".   

Same goes for directly logging into the web portal for Orbi, but I can't even get beyond the login screen.    I tried some of the recommended steps:  Rebooted router, cleared cache on browser.   Cannot login to router even with direct cable connection and ip address.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBR850 "Unable to connect to router" message

@bizbeer wrote:

Same goes for directly logging into the web portal for Orbi, but I can't even get beyond the login screen.    I tried some of the recommended steps:  Rebooted router, cleared cache on browser.   Cannot login to router even with direct cable connection and ip address.  Any thoughts?

Let's first try with the web portal, ignoring the app for now.

1. What URL are you using to access the web portal from your browser?
  2. When you login as "admin" and your password in your browser, what do you see next?  Is it the wrong password or a different screen or error message?
  3. What is your ISP and how is your Orbi connected to their modem/ONT/etc.?
Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your using Apple devices for Orbi app, review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

@bizbeer wrote:

I have the RBR850 Router (and two satellites).   I am connected to all of them via wifi.   My orbi app shows that several of my devices are connected directly to the router.   Yet I keep getting a message on the app that says "Unable to connect to router".   

Message 3 of 11
xianas
Initiate

Hi Bizbeer. I had the same problem with the iPhone app saying it could not connect to router although everything else looked and worked fine. My resolution was to install the Orbi app on another mobile device (my iPad), I logged into the router network through the iPad app, and it ended the error message on the iPhone app. I did not have to reboot or reset the router. Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 11
bizbeer
Guide

Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 11
bizbeer
Guide

Thanks for the tip.  I tried turning both off and then reconnecting to the wifi.   The connection works fine.  The app still will not work.   I paid to get netgear support.  The chat person told me that they are having scads of problems with the app and are working for a fix.  I called in and they said the hold time is long, would you like to be called back at my number.   They called back in 10 minutes to tell me to call back in a half hour.  What a bunch of losers.

Message 6 of 11
bizbeer
Guide

I used to use orbilogin.com.   Now I get a page not found for that.   So I tried:  https://www.netgear.com/home/services/orbilogin/

When I login it says,

Looks like you’re not connected to your Orbi’s WiFi network. Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. Try the following steps to get connected:

(I tried the steps, no luck).

My ISP is Everstream.   My router is directly connected to the fiber modem.   

Thanks for trying to help.  If you have any ideas, appreciate it.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Try a 30/30/30 reset:

With the router plugged in and powered on, depress the reset button for 30 seconds. This button is usually a tiny dot recessed into the back of the router. You may need a jeweler's screwdriver or a bent paperclip to access it.
While still holding down the button, unplug the router from its power source for another 30 seconds.
With the reset button still held down, turn the power back on and hold for another 30 seconds.

Message 8 of 11
bizbeer
Guide

Thanks for the tip.   Won't this restore it to factory default?   I can't even remember what steps I went through to set it up and I'm afraid that I won't be able to log into it to set up my network if it doesn't work.  Will it automatically connect to the two and satellites that I have?  Will the Orbi app still remember the names of the devices that are connected?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Once you set up the RBR using a wired PC and web browser, if you use same SSID name and PW used previously, devices and RBS will reconnect. I recommend turning OFF the RBS before you reset the RBR. This will get you access to the RBRs web page. 

After it's setup, you can attempt to log in with Orbi app and see if it connects to the system correctly. If your using Apple iphone or pad, be sure to disable these before launching the Orbi app:

Message 10 of 11
bizbeer
Guide

Thanks again.  I'll give it a test on the weekend.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7