Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V4.6.14.3_2.3.12 firmware unable to pause device from app

robtester
Aspirant

V4.6.14.3_2.3.12 firmware unable to pause device from app

Hello,

We are on latest firmware of V4.6.14.3_2.3.12 for our Orbi mesh product.

It seems that the pause/un-pause functionality from Orbi app no longer works.

The app shows that it is paused; but the connectivity remains.

I saw that there was an old post mentioning this issue on older firmware.

Is this bug get re-introduced?

Rob

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Orbi model system do you have? RBK? 

What mobile platform are you using? Apple or Android? 

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

What Orbi app version is currently installed;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/New-Orbi-App-Versions-and-Updates/td-p/2308199/jump-to/fir...

What devices are you trying to control? 

Was this working before? If so, what Orbi app version and FW version? 

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@robtester wrote:

It seems that the pause/un-pause functionality from Orbi app no longer works.

The app shows that it is paused; but the connectivity remains.

It would be helpful to know:

• What sort of device is being paused, and
  • What sort of connectivity is being used.

The reason is that pausing a device on my RBR50 router seems to depend on what is being done.

With a Samsung tablet connected to the Orbi WiFi, I found that using the Orbi 'app' to Pause the tablet

• Causes web access to be blocked, but
  • Does not block other internet connections.  For example ICMP.  I have an app on the tablet that can ping IP addresses, and found that it continues to  ping 8.8.8.8 (google dns) and 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS) even when Paused.
  • Nor did it block DNS lookups.  (did a ping on "ford.com". This requires first a DNS lookup, then ICMP.)
  • I have a suspicion that Pause also may not interfere with existing IP connections, such as those opened by Internet of Things (IoT) devices to their home "cloud".

I do not mean to suggest that Netgear has not introduced a bug in firmware. (There is a long track record of breaking things.)  Just gathering information.

Message 3 of 12
robtester
Aspirant

Thank you all for the responses. Here is a complete information.

Everything is on the latest version as of time of writing.

Orbi RBR750 with firmware V4.6.14.3_2.3.12 (we have auto-update firmware turned on; so it's a suspect when we suddenly have that feature stopped working).

Orbi app: 2.29.1.129 (on iphone ios version 16.6).

Device that we are trying to pause is an Apple TV, connected over WiFi, (controlling my son's screen time on YouTube).

It used to work prior on both my wife's phone and mine.

Rob

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that Orbi app version is new and caused a problem to appear. I'd submit a bug report to NG regarding this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Message 5 of 12
robtester
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I've filed a bug report from the app itself.

The old version of the app was not working as well (and I unfortunately did not note the previous version). I was thinking an upgrade would likely resolve it.

Rob

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

There is new firmware for the 750 product:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

I do not mean to suggest that updating firmware will solve the problem.  However, one of the first recommendations is to update firmware, so that people are certain that everyone is talking about the same software release.

When the device is paused using the iPhone app, does the slider move and turn gray?  i.e., what  the app is reporting is incorrect.  Or, does the app "not work" in the sense that the slider does not move?

Would it be convenient to open the Orbi web interface and observe how the Advanced Tab, Security Menu, Access Control describes the Apple TV?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@robtester wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've filed a bug report from the app itself.

The old version of the app was not working as well (and I unfortunately did not note the previous version). I was thinking an upgrade would likely resolve it.

Rob

Message 8 of 12
robtester
Aspirant

The pause/unpause functionality is completely broken again.

I cannot get any resolution on this.

RBR750 on firmware v4.6.13.3 and app version 2.34.1.1(IOS Version 17.4.1).

We realized is sometimes when the pause/unpause shows up as a slider in the mobile app (it will work).

If it shows up as a button, it will not.

I've no ideas why my app will sometimes show up as a slider and sometimes button.The button version does not work.

I've also filed a bug with from the mobile app.

This is  very important feature to us and it is continuously broken (perhaps by random updates).

Rob

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What model RBS do you have? 750s? 

Your system is behind on FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

Message 10 of 12
robtester
Aspirant

Yup, the satellite is also RBS 750.

You are right that I am behind firmware versions. I've updated both router and satellite to V7.2.6.31_5.0.24 and the pause/play functionality still does not work.

I guess this goes to a separate bug report. The reason why my firmware was behind was because the "check updates" firmware functionality was telling me I am on the latest version. Gosh.. just one bug after another.

Rob

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Some systems may not be included in the newer FW, NG may not auto update or push newer versions of FW, some minor versions don't get pushed, or users have the auto update feature disabled as NG put this user option in back in v4 version of FW. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series