Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iOS 14

awawaw
Guide

iOS 14

After upating my iphone to iOS 14, I cannot log into the Orbi application via local access.   I can still access via remote access.  Please help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 51

Accepted Solutions
awawaw
Guide

Update 29 September 2020.

Orbi has released a new update 2.6.4.13 and my problem has been solved.   It is working now.   Thank you everybody.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 51

All Replies
GMoGoody8
Luminary

IOS 14 has a new permission for local network. Please make sure you have given the Orbi app those permissions.

Also if you had any parental controls, MAC filtering or static IP addresses IOS 14 also now has MAC randomization per SSID. The first time the IOS 14 device joins an SSID it creates a unique MAC address. So all features using the real MAC will now fail.

Apple allows a user to toggle it per network if you want. Though it’s on by default. Hit the “I” and it’s the “private address” toggle
Message 2 of 51
awawaw
Guide

IUpdate:

My old iphone, my wife's iphone and my ipad all has the iOS 14 and the Orbi application all can connect locally to the Oribi without having to connect "remotely".   I suspect it had something to do with my Apple watch.   My new iphone is the only iphone connected to an Apple watch.  So, that may have something to do with it.   I have also deleted the Orbi application and then re-downloaded the Obi application several times, completely turn off my iphone several times.   I also tried turning off my Apple watch so that it is not connected to the iphone.   But it still does not work.    

I have experienced similar problems with Wemo when I cannot set up a new Wemo switch into the home network.  But my older iphone and ipad can all instantly set up and connect to a new Wemo device.   I believe all these problems may be connected to my iphone as an Apple watch is in its profile.     I can still connect locally to Orbi with my wife's iphone and my ipad to check if the Orbi needs a firmware update.  So, I have a work around but it is annoying.

Message 3 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

iOS14 support. " Please ensure that you grant "Local Network" access so that the app can communicate with your Orbi WiFi system."

Message 4 of 51
awawaw
Guide

Yes yes.   I did that from day one already.

Another update.   I also downloaded the Orbi Appication to a work cell phone which is running Android and it is also no problem.   I still think it has something to do with the Apple Watch.   I hope either iOS has an update that will help or Orbi has an update.  It is often that both sides point towards the other guy.   

Message 5 of 51
Mstrbig
Master

@awawaw wrote:

Yes yes.   I did that from day one already.

Another update.   I also downloaded the Orbi Appication to a work cell phone which is running Android and it is also no problem.   I still think it has something to do with the Apple Watch.   I hope either iOS has an update that will help or Orbi has an update.  It is often that both sides point towards the other guy.   

Not to knock Apple, but I see a lot of complaints with regard to Orbi and Apple products such as iPhone, iPad, Mac Pro, Macbook air, etc.

Message 6 of 51
Dfran1
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

Not to knock Apple, but I see a lot of complaints with regard to Orbi and Apple products such as iPhone, iPad, Mac Pro, Macbook air, etc.

I have updated all my apple devices to latest ios , iwatch, apple tv's (3), 2 Iphones, ipad, macbook pro and mac mini (no new osx release yet for macbook and mac mini), besides all the other wifi stuff i have and no issues at all, yes I clicked on the local network and you can find it also in the app name under settings, in case someone needs to know.

I also must say I firmware locked my orbi and Orbi (RBK50-100NAR) has been the best router I have ever owned.

(Not to say bad things about firmware updates, but I had just Horrible times with Orbi firmware updates, spent wayyyyyy too much time trying to fix them and nothing would in my case.)  so I put that orbi at work as no satelite needed their and I do update the main orbi all the time at work only and that has been perfect. I have 3 other Orbi's with satelite's (all firmware locked at what they all came shipped with) now at 3 houses (only one is mine) and no problems.

I did also turn on jumbo frames by this method (certainly not sure this helps) 

Launch your favorite web browser and go to <Router IP Address>/debug.htm

Best of luck to all!!

Message 7 of 51
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi awawaw & Dfran1, 

If you're still experiencing issues with accessing the Orbi app, please send me the following info in a private message. 

Orbi Router Model:

Orbi Firmware Version:

Orbi App Version: (iOS or Android) 

Did you update to iOS 14: (Yes or No)

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 8 of 51
awawaw
Guide

Update 29 September 2020.

Orbi has released a new update 2.6.4.13 and my problem has been solved.   It is working now.   Thank you everybody.

Message 9 of 51
ChrisKing
Guide

Sadly the new version of the app has not worked for me on iOS 14.0.1.

I was not aware of the issue until I stumbled over it on the community and thought it was my wifi problem. 

I have deleted the app (and settings), downloaded the new version as per an earlier user, but when I go to the Orbi App Settings, there is no option for Local Network, and under Privacy, Orbi is not listed inside the Local Network settings. 

I can still connect via Anywhere Access, and through my browsers etc, so all other functionalty including Wifi is working fine. So the bug is in the App itself. 

I also emailed Christian as per his message to other users explaining this problem, hopefully a new version with the bug fix can be deployed soon. 

Chris

Message 10 of 51
Stev3D
Luminary

A big “me too.” The app is inert for me too.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 51
mgtechus
Aspirant

I have a similar problem on iOS 14 with the Nighthawk app.

I also tried different methods.

It doesn't allow me to trust my devivce.

Your device didn't receive the push notification - Check your network connectivity.

@ChrisKing wrote:

Sadly the new version of the app has not worked for me on iOS 14.0.1.

I was not aware of the issue until I stumbled over it on the community and thought it was my wifi problem. 

I have deleted the app (and settings), downloaded the new version as per an earlier user, but when I go to the Orbi App Settings, there is no option for Local Network, and under Privacy, Orbi is not listed inside the Local Network settings. 

I can still connect via Anywhere Access, and through my browsers etc, so all other functionalty including Wifi is working fine. So the bug is in the App itself. 

I also emailed Christian as per his message to other users explaining this problem, hopefully a new version with the bug fix can be deployed soon. 

Chris

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 12 of 51
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community Users, 

Our engineering team is aware and currently investigating. I'll provide updates to the issue as soon as they become available. 

Thank you,

Christian 

Message 13 of 51
awawaw
Guide

We are sorry to report that my "resvolved" problem came back.   It was "resolved" but the exact same problem is now happening again.  Only my new iphone (paired with Apple watch) cannot log in locally.  All other older iphones, ipad and Andriod work cell phone are able to log in locally.  I understand that Orbi (Netgear) is working on a solution for others and we hope it will also help me again.   Thank you all and I will update you guys if there is a solution.   Thank you all

Message 14 of 51
evntwiz
Aspirant

not connecting here at all  cant get trusted device and basically dead in water unless i use my desktop.

rbr20

3 sattelites

latest app version

latest firmware version

all crap

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 51
ChrisKing
Guide

New app released today by Netgear

Works for me now and 100% successful 🙂 

Message 16 of 51
Stev3D
Luminary

I got it this morning, and can confirm it works.

But, I discovered something very disturbing.  When exploring the new user interface, I tapped "Anywhere Access" and discovered that it says it was turned on!  I never, EVER enabled remote (WAN side) management -- there's not an chance in the world.  

Enabling remote (WAN side) management is a terrible idea from a security perspective, and killing that -- and UPoP -- are among the first things I check with any new device (or when I help out others).

And yet the app says it was on.  I know that it was not on a few weeks ago when I viewed my Orbi from the Web interface -- so how was it turned on?  Not by me!

Does this new iOS app enable it automatically?  If so, there needs to be a big red warning label.

I suggest everyone check theirs to be sure something isn't enabled without your knowledge.

Message 17 of 51
schumaku
Guru

@Stev3D wrote:

Enabling remote (WAN side) management is a terrible idea from a security perspective, and killing that -- and UPoP -- are among the first things I check with any new device (or when I help out others).

Well, not so terrible as the UPnP-PMP panicked always want to see: It's not WAN side management - there are no ports opened and exposed - it's not Remote Access. Much more, the router does establish a link to Netgear's cloud from where only the authenticated can make use of Anywhere Access connecting back to your router.

No idea what might have enabled it - but then it was (and probably still is) the second chance for iOS 14 users not aware having to enable the Local Network Permission and/or users having enabled MAC based access control on their Netgear devices where the other brilliant Apple tin hat default named Private WiFi address (read a random MAC is used on every new connection) - unless disabled for the network - does definitively close the door.  The amount of posts here and on many other communities and support channels is exploding due to this overrated new security features - which are above the understanding for the average user base.

Message 18 of 51
schumaku
Guru

@Stev3D wrote:

And yet the app says it was on.  I know that it was not on a few weeks ago when I viewed my Orbi from the Web interface -- so how was it turned on?  Not by me!

Here again. Two complete different things.

Originally Netgear used the terms "Remote Access" for the exposed port/service (this is what we can control from the Web UI), and "Remote Management" for the cloud based access, later they made a mess out of it and used the same "Remote Access" designation. The new name for the cloud based access was changed to "Anywhere Access" - which was and is only controllable from the App. 

Message 19 of 51
Stev3D
Luminary

@schumaku , I appreciate the explanation of the difference between Anywhere Access and Remote Management (I just assumed Anywhere Access was NETGEAR's fancy brand name for remote management -- not unlike Apple's "Private [Wi-Fi] Addresses" label you dis).  And while I still don't want the WAN-side tunnel to NETGEAR's cloud, but it isn't the "hair on fire" issue I thought it was.  

I am a fan of the random MAC address feature that Apple rolled out (great tracking prevention), but it does mean that Netgear (and other manufacturers) need to alert users who use MAC addresses for admission control and IP address assignments that they must have people turn off Private [Wi-Fi] Addressing for the SSIDs they manage.

Security is never easy, but in-security is -- you get what you pay for.

Message 20 of 51
schumaku
Guru

@Stev3D wrote:

I am a fan of the random MAC address feature that Apple rolled out (great tracking prevention), but it does mean that Netgear (and other manufacturers) need to alert users who use MAC addresses for admission control and IP address assignments that they must have people turn off Private [Wi-Fi] Addressing for the SSIDs they manage.

Nope - fully disagree! There are many valid reasons why admins configure MAC address for admission control - a huge effort by the way.

It makes absolute no sense to enable this random MAC on your private home or business network. Nobody is tracking you on your own home or business network my friend - much more it does break standard security and network management. We've started to capture devices coming to our managed network infrastructure with local MAC and put them up to a dedicated VLAN where they get information on how to disable this mess. A unique ID - like the device MAC - is required for monitoring and auditing reasons in business environments btw.

As IT security operations, as the owner of the network, as the owner of the business, we have the right to see the unique MAC assigned to the device, regardless if this is a business owned or BYOD. 

And there is no reason why network admins should disable the MAC based access lists.

Message 21 of 51
schumaku
Guru

@Stev3D wrote:

Security is never easy, but in-security is -- you get what you pay for.

That's exactly why disabling the MAC access control isn't an opiton.

My network, my responsability: Access only with the real Wireless Adapter MAC. Any CIO, any IT security person, any IT auditor will agree.

Your network - your rules. I don't care. 

And telling the admins to disable the MAC access control can't be the solution.

Message 22 of 51
Stev3D
Luminary

@schumaku , you either mis-read or misunderstood what I wrote.

You wrote, "There are many valid reasons why admins configure MAC address for admission control - a huge effort by the way."

That was my point; I use MAC address filtering / admission control on all my networks because I want to know (and I do track) and control what devices are there.  MAC Address filtering is not fool-proof (because addresses can be spoofed), but that does add an extra bit of complexity for intruders.  So anyone using my network is required to disable it -- just like you do.

I am a fan of what Apple has done, even if it makes for extra work for me, because so many people are suckers for "free" Wi-Fi and the like.  Sure it's a bit more work for us, but it does serve the greater good.  People who understand networks can do the work, people who are clueless need our help and support -- because the jackals that are the information brokers are taking advantage of their naivety. 

And I wrote, "but it does mean that Netgear (and other manufacturers) need to alert users who use MAC addresses for admission control and IP address assignments that they must have people turn off Private [Wi-Fi] Addressing for the SSIDs they manage."

In other words, people like us (and organizations like Netgear) need to tell users to turn off "Private Addressing" for the SSIDs we manage.  I did not write that we need to turn off MAC Address filtering on our networks.  But I see that my wording may have been less than 100% clear.

So, I think we are in "violent agreement" that Private Addresses are not needed on managed networks, but we do seem to differ as to whether it is a good thing in general or not (I think Apple has done the world a service, even if it adds to complexity on properly managed networks).

Peace.

Message 23 of 51
Stev3D
Luminary

Post-posting proof reading:  When I wrote "So anyone using my network is required to disable it -- just like you do" the "it" here was Private Addressing (I should avoid the use of pronouns).

Message 24 of 51
schumaku
Guru

Peace ❤️

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements