Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can i use a orbi pro router(SRR60) being used as a sattelite?

Marchal
Aspirant

Can i use a orbi pro router(SRR60) being used as a sattelite?

Can an orbi pro router being used as an satellite?
Already have an router and satellite, but i can take over a second router for a good price...
Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, no.  Netgear designed the router models (of both the residential Orbi and Orbi "Pro") to be "only a router".  They cannot be attached to another router and function as a satellite.  Other manufacturers designed their products where each device can serve in either capacity, but not Netgear.

An Orbi router can be placed into Access Point (AP) mode and wired to an Orbi router and will function as an ordinary access point.  i.e. it will not be "integrated" with the primary Orbi.  Devices will not "roam" between it and the primary Orbi.  If it is set up with the same SSID/password/channel as the primary Orbi, it will interfere with the primary Orbi.  In other works, it is like attaching a $50 access point from any brand.  Sort of a waste of an expensive device.

Generally, people do not report being happy using a router this way.  (I think a lot of these surplus routers wind up on eBay.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, no.  Netgear designed the router models (of both the residential Orbi and Orbi "Pro") to be "only a router".  They cannot be attached to another router and function as a satellite.  Other manufacturers designed their products where each device can serve in either capacity, but not Netgear.

An Orbi router can be placed into Access Point (AP) mode and wired to an Orbi router and will function as an ordinary access point.  i.e. it will not be "integrated" with the primary Orbi.  Devices will not "roam" between it and the primary Orbi.  If it is set up with the same SSID/password/channel as the primary Orbi, it will interfere with the primary Orbi.  In other works, it is like attaching a $50 access point from any brand.  Sort of a waste of an expensive device.

Generally, people do not report being happy using a router this way.  (I think a lot of these surplus routers wind up on eBay.)

Message 2 of 3
Marchal
Aspirant

Ok.
thanks for the quick answer..!
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7