Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Faster connection over Wifi than ethernet SRS60

Faster connection over Wifi than ethernet SRS60

I have a satelite setup in my home-office. I can't figure out why my connection is three times faster over wifi than with ethernet. I get 300 mbit/s over wifi, but just 95 mbit/s with ethernet. When I login to the Satelite I can confirm the computer is connected over Wifi to the same Satelite as when using ethernet. Not a big issue, but I was expecting a more relible and somewhat faster internet connection when using ethernet.

Can't find any solution in Admin interface.

Any tip?

• Hardware Version: SRS60
  • Firmware Version: V2.5.3.110
Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@JohanHolmberg wrote:

I have a satelite setup in my home-office. I can't figure out why my connection is three times faster over wifi than with ethernet. I get 300 mbit/s over wifi, but just 95 mbit/s with ethernet. When I login to the Satelite I can confirm the computer is connected over Wifi to the same Satelite as when using ethernet

@Mstrbighas identified the most likely problems: (1) older ethernet card that does not support gigabit, or (2) cable does not support over 100mb.

It is unfortunate that Netgear does not provide the same diagnostic capability for the satellite as it does for the router.  If this device is portable, you could temporarily connect it to the Orbi router using the same cable and then open the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, and click on the blue box: "Show Statistics".  If the LAN port that the device is connected to shows 100M/Full rather than 1000M/Full, then it is either the cable or the device.

p.s. The advice to post in the Pro forum is sound.  For example, I have absolutely no idea if the Pro router has the exact same information on the Advanced Tab as my Orbi (the "original", not the Pro).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@JohanHolmberg wrote:

I have a satelite setup in my home-office. I can't figure out why my connection is three times faster over wifi than with ethernet. I get 300 mbit/s over wifi, but just 95 mbit/s with ethernet. When I login to the Satelite I can confirm the computer is connected over Wifi to the same Satelite as when using ethernet. Not a big issue, but I was expecting a more relible and somewhat faster internet connection when using ethernet.

Any tip?

Check to see what NIC your PC or device has for wired internet. If it is a 100Mbps card, you will never get any faster than 100Mbps 

Or if your wired device is connected to a switch, make sure your switch is a gigabit switch. If it is a 100Mbps swirch you will not get any faster than 100Mbps.

Check the network cable you are using for your wired connection. If it is an older cable you may not get any higher speeds than 100Mbps.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Thank you.

@JohanHolmberg wrote:

Any tip?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@JohanHolmberg wrote:

I have a satelite setup in my home-office. I can't figure out why my connection is three times faster over wifi than with ethernet. I get 300 mbit/s over wifi, but just 95 mbit/s with ethernet. When I login to the Satelite I can confirm the computer is connected over Wifi to the same Satelite as when using ethernet

@Mstrbighas identified the most likely problems: (1) older ethernet card that does not support gigabit, or (2) cable does not support over 100mb.

It is unfortunate that Netgear does not provide the same diagnostic capability for the satellite as it does for the router.  If this device is portable, you could temporarily connect it to the Orbi router using the same cable and then open the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, and click on the blue box: "Show Statistics".  If the LAN port that the device is connected to shows 100M/Full rather than 1000M/Full, then it is either the cable or the device.

p.s. The advice to post in the Pro forum is sound.  For example, I have absolutely no idea if the Pro router has the exact same information on the Advanced Tab as my Orbi (the "original", not the Pro).

Message 4 of 5

Thanks for quick answers and recommendations. Indeed it's not my Orbi that is the problem. It seams like my Satechi bring some problems in to the mix even though the specs says it's supports gigabit network. I've checked with an other computer (with the same cable) and I get good results over ethernet.

My MacBook Pro is probably the thing to look deeper into. I've forced gigabit network over ethernet but I'm still getting poor results... But at least I now know it's not my new Orbi that is the problem.

Once again thanks for quick answers. 

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7