Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4200 IP conflicts galore!

BulletRouge
Aspirant

AX4200 IP conflicts galore!

SO, my new AX4200 config (router & 2 nodes) is a mess. Before I set it up, I changed my existing setup to lease IP addresses < 130, and waited for everything to have an IP address in that range before I did anything. Then I updated firmware all around, and did a factory reset before setting it up. Then before I let any devices connect to the Orbi network I changed DHCP to be > 130. then I let everything connect and virtually everything got new IP addresses. Then the problems began...

My wife yelled that our streaming device was pausing repeatedly. I checked the devie's IP address, and it was new. I rebooted the device for good measure. Same IP address. I went to the Netgear admin UI to look at the connected devices and it showed a completely different device on that IP address.

I was having the same issue on another streaming device, and same pattern. The IP address was showed as being assigned to a completely different device.

I have no other router or any kind on my network. I've had to swap back to my previous setup and everything is rock solid again...

Before I return it, any ideas??

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX4200 IP conflicts galore!

Of this is the Orbi 7 series system, 

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@BulletRouge wrote:

SO, my new AX4200 config (router & 2 nodes) is a mess. Before I set it up, I changed my existing setup to lease IP addresses < 130, and waited for everything to have an IP address in that range before I did anything. Then I updated firmware all around, and did a factory reset before setting it up. Then before I let any devices connect to the Orbi network I changed DHCP to be > 130. then I let everything connect and virtually everything got new IP addresses. Then the problems began...

My wife yelled that our streaming device was pausing repeatedly. I checked the devie's IP address, and it was new. I rebooted the device for good measure. Same IP address. I went to the Netgear admin UI to look at the connected devices and it showed a completely different device on that IP address.

I was having the same issue on another streaming device, and same pattern. The IP address was showed as being assigned to a completely different device.

I have no other router or any kind on my network. I've had to swap back to my previous setup and everything is rock solid again...

Before I return it, any ideas??

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@BulletRouge wrote:

SO, my new AX4200 config (router & 2 nodes) is a mess. Before I set it up, I changed my existing setup to lease IP addresses < 130, and waited for everything to have an IP address in that range before I did anything. Then I updated firmware all around, and did a factory reset before setting it up. Then before I let any devices connect to the Orbi network I changed DHCP to be > 130. then I let everything connect and virtually everything got new IP addresses. Then the problems began..

Was there a specific reason for changing the DHCP pool?

Most routers provide a method of "assigning" IP addresses to devices so that every time they request an IP they get the same one.

This makes "knowing where they are" a lot simpler.  Printers, for example, are often known to computers by their IP address, and when the IP changes the computer can't find it anymore.

Message 3 of 5
BulletRouge
Aspirant

Yea, the main reason to use a different pool was to help with troubleshooting (initially I just let the router do it's thing, but that wasn't working so well imediately). The idea was to easily be able to identify which devices the Orbi had recognized and assigned addresses to. That'd give me a pretty good idea of what devices I might need to "nudge". DOing that made it clear that the Orbi was confusing devices it was assigning IP addresses to.

Yea, I suspect manualy assigning addresses to things might work, buthonestly it really isn't worth the effort to me. DHCP is pretty elemental to what a router does, and if it is having problems with that, I'm not sure what else it is likely to be messing up.

Going to be returning this setup today and moving on to something else. I appreciate responses though...

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7