Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi RBR750 - multiple issues

Batt11
Tutor

New Orbi RBR750 - multiple issues

We just purchased a new Orbi BRB750 (Firmware: V3.2.16.6_1.4.4) wifi-mesh system a few weeks ago. At first, it seemed great, there was no more complaining from the family about the poor wifi signal of my AT&T modem, Pace 5268c (1Gb fiber). Shortly after, though, My oldest started complaining about his games. he was unable to play is primary game, Eve Online. He sat on phone support with them for hours before even telling me. When he was launching his game the game updates would not download and eventually time out. He found he had the same issue with Steam. Funny enough, when I launched Eve from my identically built computer, it launched fine. He insisted it was the network, I instisted it was his OS. He went as far as completely wiping his computer, putting on a fresh copy of Windows 10 and tried to download, install and update Eve...no dice, it just timed out when he launched the game and update it. I started looking at the Orbi network, even did a full factory reset and set it all up again, I could not get his client to work. Eventually I turned off the Armor protection and he was able to update the game, but it took 15 minutes to launch, and actions in the game was lagging so bad he could not do anything. As a last ditch effort, I unplugged his ethernet cable from the Orbi and plugged into the AT&T modem. Now he is on a completely different network (a 192.168.1.x) instead of what we are on (10.0.0.x).

I thought our propblems were over, then I noticed some dismill transfer rates on my machine. I found that my NIC was set at 100Mbs instead of a 1000Mbs. I restarted my machine and it was back at a Gig. Now, it seems, that every time I reboot, it is like a toss of the dice, will I get a Gig, or just 100Mbs? This is annoying as hell, but I dont reboot often.

Now, last night, my youngest is having the same issue as my oldests, but with his new COD game and the (I think) Blizzard launcher, he just times out.

Has this type of behavior been seen before? or did I just waste $600?

Message 1 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

Re: New Orbi RBR750 - multiple issues

Who is your ISP? Is your ISP modem a modem only or modem/router?

Can you screenshoot your Orbi settings and post them, or at least post your LAN, WAN and wireless settings? Is the system in router mode or AP? The gaming issues could be your settings.

Your network card issue has nothing to do with the Orbi. You may want to update the drivers, or go into device manager and remove and reinstall the NIC.

Message 2 of 10
Batt11
Tutor

My ISP is AT&T, I have 1Gb Fiber service. The Modem is a Pace 5268AC. It is a modem/router which does not have the option to be placed in bridged mode. The best I could do was to disable as many services as I could, connect the Orbi to it and then set the Orbi to the DMZ. The orbi is giving out a 10.0.0.x address, the Pace is 192.168.1.x. If this NIC issue is not related to the Orbi, it would be a HUGE coincidence that it would start to fail as soon as I setup the Orbi.

Wireless setupWireless setupWireless in advancedWireless in advancedInternet setupInternet setupWAN setupWAN setupLAN SetupLAN Setup

Message 3 of 10
Batt11
Tutor

Message 4 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

My only suggestions would be

Change 2.4Ghz wireless channel from Auto to either 1, 6 or 11, whicever is less crowded.

Uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHZ Coexistance, on the Wireless Advanced page

Why are you using 192.168.1.254 as one of your DNS servers? Would it be better to get automatically from ISP or use all Google servers?

Also on your LAN page, I would choose IP addresses you want to reserve, that are actually in the DHCP IP address pool. So since you are set for 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.99, choose IP addresses to reserve between .2 and .99. 

Another setting I found to be very helpful, as far as when there is a power loss or reboot. Reserve 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 to the 2 satellites. This way after a reboot or startup, the satellites are always using the same IP address, cusing all devices to connect faster and without issues.

Message 5 of 10
Batt11
Tutor

I can easily change the reservations, though we are not having any issues with Wireless, all the issues are with devices that are connected via ethernet (cat6)

Message 6 of 10
Batt11
Tutor

Well, things got worse, my computer, which was going between 100Mbs and 1000Mbs started disconnecting every 20-30 seconds and then reconnecting. I updated the drivers, replaced my ethernet cable and restarted many times. Like clockwork, it would disconnect/reconnect. This morning, I decided to reset the entire network and put everything back on the PACE modem/router and place the Orbi in AP mode. 

Now, everything is running smoothly, no disconnects, no failures with games on my kid's machines, the only problem I have now is the regret of having a $600 wifi extender in the house.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

There an option to return it? If not, make contact with NG support and ask about an RMA. 

I would also look in to Asking the ISP about upgrading the PACE modem. Seen other posts about that brand of modem causing problems with external routers. 

Message 8 of 10
Batt11
Tutor

I have requested an updated modem extensivly for the last year or two, AT&T will not budge. If I can find the box, hopefully it was not tossed, I will try to return it.

Message 9 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Batt11 wrote:

I have requested an updated modem extensivly for the last year or two, AT&T will not budge. If I can find the box, hopefully it was not tossed, I will try to return it.

The fastest way to get an updated modem from your ISP is to ask for Account Services, because you are going to cancel. Then they listen. Sadly all ISPs are pretty much the same when it comes to support. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7