Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6000 (RBK852 or RBR850) Zoom Drops w/WiFI

jim_dandy_100
Aspirant

AX6000 (RBK852 or RBR850) Zoom Drops w/WiFI

Wife's HP Notebook 15t-da000CTO work great with Zoom when using ethernet but drops out a lot when using wifi.   Wifi card in HP is a realtek RTL8822BE PCIe adapter.  Computer was bought in December 2019.  I made sure the realtek had the latest drivers over the weekend. 

Prior to the "upgrade" to the Orbi, the wife always zoom'ed wifi (5G network) with the old Asus router - no problems. 

She is within 25 feet of the main Orbi router.  She's not in love with connecting the ethernet to Zoom

To me, sure seems like a wifi thing.  Any thoughts on what I should try?  Very happy with the Orbi upgrade except for this issue.

Thank You - Dale 

FW version is v3.2.16.22

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try setting CTS to 2347 to see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I would try testing with AX mode disabled on the RBR as a quick test to see if anything changes...

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 7
jim_dandy_100
Aspirant

Hello Sir

>>What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

ISP is Spectrum.  Model is Cisco DPC3216

200M down 10M up

>>Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Router mode

>>What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Guess about 2500 Sq Ft.  with 3 floors.  Router is middle floor front of the house.  Sattelite is 3rd floor back of the house.

>>What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Guess between 30 - 40 feet - maybe a bit more - The house was probably built in the 1920s

>> What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Auto for 2.4GHz but definitely one of the devices is on channel 8

5GHz is channel 48

>>Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Very few neighbors and the closest is 500 feet away.  Downloaded WiFi Commander and other networks were very far away

>>Try setting CTS to 2347 to see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Have not tried this but this will be the first thing I try

>> I would try testing with AX mode disabled on the RBR as a quick test to see if anything changes...

Maybe I'll try this but dang everything works so good except the wife's computer (and she doesn't zoom everyday)

>> FW

Did not yet update FW.  It's a bummer to see that sometimes this does more harm than good.  When I go to do this I'll ethernet into the sattelite - do that first.  Then ethernet into the router and do that second.  Any other reccomendations to make this process as foolproof as possible?

So, with the answers I gave - do you have any reccomendations?

Thank You - Dale 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You might set manaul channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz. 

You might turn OFF the RBS and see if Zoom still drops...

Message 5 of 7
Axolotl_
Aspirant

Did you manage to resolve the issue? Im experiencing the same issue with zoom on a HP chromebook.

I have the RBR850 in AP mode and using the BT homehub. The internet connection is 900MB and i consistently get 200Mbps around the house. I don't experience any issues when on ethernet, so i'm guessing its something to do with the WIFI.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting CTS value to 2347 on the RBR. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Axolotl_ wrote:

Did you manage to resolve the issue? Im experiencing the same issue with zoom on a HP chromebook.

I have the RBR850 in AP mode and using the BT homehub. The internet connection is 900MB and i consistently get 200Mbps around the house. I don't experience any issues when on ethernet, so i'm guessing its something to do with the WIFI.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7