Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR router only some hiccups

zerolab
Guide

CBR router only some hiccups

Hi,
I have recently had to stop using the CBR internal modem due to similar issues describes on this forum of internet just dropping and being fixed by rebooting the router.
I now have a Xfinity router/modem and have put the CBR70 in "router only" following the steps here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Use-as-router-only/td-p/2124723#:~:t....

Everything, surprisingly works....
The problem is that I now have no way to connect to the router, it's pretty bizzare. I have the DHCP on the Xfinity lease up to 192.168.1.249 and have set the IP on the router as 192.168.1.250. I have also tried to connect via Ethernet directly to the router and just see if I could connect but arp doesn't really return the router MAC address and when I try connecting to .250 it randomly accesses one of the other satellites. But the other satellites are using a different IP within the DHCP range.

Any suggestions?
Message 2 of 4
zerolab
Guide

Re: CBR750 internet dropping

I have the same issue.
Look at the event logs and see if you get the following:
Config File Rejected due to Invalid or Unexpected TLV 11
Nov 11 2022 08:09:04 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW

I had Xfinity check all the connections and eventually swapped out with their modem and things are working fine. I have a case open with Netgear I think the problem is possibly that the modem is certified only up to 800Mbps but there isn't really a way to throttle the main line so you ger what the signal carries.
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR router only some hiccups

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Any RBS deployed? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page when it's in gateway mode.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR router only some hiccups

Any progress on this? 

@zerolab 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation