Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't enable OpenVPN on Orbi RBK353

niroooo
Aspirant

Can't enable OpenVPN on Orbi RBK353

I am trying to enable OpenVPN on the Orbi RBK353 system. When I check the "Enable VPN service" box and click apply button I get:

Dynamic DNS service is suggested to be used alone with the VPN Service. Please make sure you will enable the Dynamic DNS service or use Static IP address for your internet connection.

On refreshing the webpage, the "Enable VPN service" check box is unticked - and so I am in a loop.

It's the same behaviour in Chrome, Firefox and IE11 and even after a full factory reset of the Orbi's.

I'm running the latest firmware v4.4.1.29_3.10.80 in my region.

Help!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

To have VPN service you have either to have a fixed (static) IP from your ISP or have a Dynamic DNS service. Otherwise how would your device know where your Orbi is when you’re outside your own LAN. 🙂
There are fee free DDNS services that you can participate in like NoIP or Netgear’s own DNS.
Only then you will be able to activate VPN on Orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

To have VPN service you have either to have a fixed (static) IP from your ISP or have a Dynamic DNS service. Otherwise how would your device know where your Orbi is when you’re outside your own LAN. 🙂
There are fee free DDNS services that you can participate in like NoIP or Netgear’s own DNS.
Only then you will be able to activate VPN on Orbi.
Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

My older Orbi accepts only DDNS from three suppliers:

1. Netgear
  2. No-ip
  3. Dyn.com

Each DDNS service has a proprietary procedure to update the DDNS when the public IP changes and Netgear has included code in the router that is compatible with those three services.

Message 3 of 8
niroooo
Aspirant

Thanks. I have a static ip address - do I need to specify this in Orbi somewhere?

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@niroooo wrote:

Thanks. I have a static ip address - do I need to specify this in Orbi somewhere?

On the Basic menu page "Internet":

CrimpOn_0-1663429070115.png

Message 5 of 8
niroooo
Aspirant

Specifying the static ip has done the trick, thank you 🙂

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Glad that this solved the issue and you now can activate and use VPN on Orbi.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7