Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't send pictures to a digital frame with the RBR850 and 2 satellites

Orbidude
Aspirant

Can't send pictures to a digital frame with the RBR850 and 2 satellites

I purchased 2 identical digital frames which only work at 2.4 Ghz. I'm using the RBR850 router with 2 satelites. I couldn't send any pictures to the frames no matter what I tried. My brother took one of the frames to his place and everything worked great.

The difference between his router setup and mine is that the RBR850 does not separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz. My brother has the option to choose 2.4 Ghz over 5 which is why he was able to make things work on his end.

How do I separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz on the RBR850 so that I can choose 2.4 Ghz on the digital frame?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9

@Orbidude wrote:

How do I separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz on the RBR850 so that I can choose 2.4 Ghz on the digital frame?

You can't separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz. And there is nothing to choose on the digital frame. If it can't connect to  5GHz, it will connect to 2.4 GHz.

How do you set up these unnamed digital frames? (I assume that you have contacted the people who made these devices.)

If you have to use a mobile phone, one way to set up an IoT device is to disable the 5 GHz connection on the phone. That will force it to connect to 2.4 GHz. When the frame is up and running you can restore the phone's 5GHz connectivity.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Would really help to know the specific brand and model of digital frame.

And @michaelkenward is correct.  Orbi models have no method to assign different SSID's to 2.4G and 5G.  (The "latest and greatest" model does feature a seprate 2.4G SSID just for Internet of Things (IoT) devices, but it costs $1,500 - wow!)

Message 3 of 9
Orbidude
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

I noticed that you can't separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz. The frame see's ORBI as my connection.

The set up was pretty easy and I did contact the seller. They are looking into this as well.

How would I disable 5G on the iPhone Pro 13 for instance?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
Orbidude
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Would really help to know the specific brand and model of digital frame.

And @michaelkenward is correct.  Orbi models have no method to assign different SSID's to 2.4G and 5G.  (The "latest and greatest" model does feature a seprate 2.4G SSID just for Internet of Things (IoT) devices, but it costs $1,500 - wow!)

Hi CrimpOn,

Here's the link to the digital frame.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099DJB4CF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I just spent $1,000 6 months ago for the RBR850/2 satelites. Not ready to spend another $1,500. They are crazy expensive.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9

@Orbidude wrote:

The set up was pretty easy and I did contact the seller. They are looking into this as well.

You would be surprised how many useless IoT installation programs there are out there. Too many have yet to discover Mesh wifi networks and their single SSID.

How would I disable 5G on the iPhone Pro 13 for instance?

No idea. I am too cheap to buy iThings. I would have thought that Apple would be a better place to ask about that. Or set the things up with a mobile device that is easier to use.

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Orbidude wrote:

Here's the link to the digital frame.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099DJB4CF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Oh, my.  Unusual to see a product with 30% 1-star reviews. (and only 23 reviews total).

I have yet to find a User Manual for the product.

Message 7 of 9
Orbidude
Aspirant

I think I may have figured it out. I have 2 routers in the house. The Orbi is on the second floor and the tp link in my recording studio, where I had the frame. As soon as I connected the frame outside the studio and in my living room, everything started working. I guess the frame was having difficulty connecting to a router even though it showed it was connected to the Orbi.

If you're wondering why I have 2 routers, one is for the internet and the other for my ethernet/ Dante equipment.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Cool.  Problem solved. No need to create separate SSID's.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7