Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Access Remote Plex Server - Unsecure Connection Error

CorrectTangelo
Aspirant

Cannot Access Remote Plex Server - Unsecure Connection Error

Hello, Hoping someone can offer suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

I just upgraded my home Wifi to a Netgear RBK853 Orbi and I'm no longer able to access my remote Plex Media Server.  When I'm on my new Wifi network and try to connect in a browser (app.plex.tv)  I get an error message saying  "unable to connect to "server-name" securely"

So the path is:

My Web Browser > Orbi Wifi Network > Verizon Router (in Bridge Mode) >  Remote Plex Server

I've tried the following with no luck:

• Confirmed Orbi Firmware is current
  • Disabled Netgear Router Armor security app to see if that solved the issue - it didn't
  • Rebooted remote Plex server
  • Made secure connections "not required" in Plex app settings
  • Set up port triggering/forwarding for port 32400 on my VZN router ( I think I did this correctly lol)

Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated! 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot Access Remote Plex Server - Unsecure Connection Error

Verizon is notorious for their "bridge" setting not working properly. 

Try leaving the verizon in router mode (disable its wifi) and then put the netgears IP address into the verizon router's DMZ. 

If that doesn't work, try the orbi in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

Have you setup port forwarding on the Orbi, since it is your router you need to port forward from the Orbi RBR to your Plex server's Orbi IP?  UPnP may or may not be working.  You may need to setup port forwarding explicitly like in: https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Cannot-access-Plex-on-port-32400/td-p/1660...

Then use https://canyouseeme.org/ to test that port 32400 is open and listening.

Message 3 of 6
CorrectTangelo
Aspirant

Thanks @plemans !  This is really helpful.  You're spot on about the VZN routers and bridge mode -  its not as easy/straightforward as one would think it is, and according to this post   it looks like I missed a few steps.  I'm going to try adding the Orbi IP to VZN routerDMZ and if that doesn't work, I'll give AP mode a try. Thanks again and I'll post here once I figure it out. 

Message 4 of 6
CorrectTangelo
Aspirant

Hi @Mikey94025 ,  Thanks for the response here!  This might be a stupid question, but my Plex server is hosted externally and is not in my LAN.  Do I still need to set up port forwarding in the Orbi RBR?  

Apologies for my confusion, I've seen a ton of info and posts from people setting up LAN port forwarding so they can access their home Plex servers remotely.  Haha, I'm trying to do the opposite - access a remote Plex server from my home.   

Also, thanks for the link to the https://canyouseeme.org/  tool - that's awesome! 

Message 5 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@CorrectTangelo wrote:

Hi @Mikey94025 ,  Thanks for the response here!  This might be a stupid question, but my Plex server is hosted externally and is not in my LAN.  Do I still need to set up port forwarding in the Orbi RBR?  

Apologies for my confusion, I've seen a ton of info and posts from people setting up LAN port forwarding so they can access their home Plex servers remotely.  Haha, I'm trying to do the opposite - access a remote Plex server from my home.   

OK, no you shouldn't need any port forwarding if you're not trying to open up access to something on your home network.  Outgoing connections should work just fine.

Sorry, I'm not a Plex user so don't know what could be wrong and caused by upgrading to the Orbi.  There are a bunch of reddit posts returned by google search.  Perhaps try overriding the Orbi's DNS settings to `8.8.8.8`, or try toggling Plex security setting from `any` to `required` and then back to `any`.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7