Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot set up bridge mode with Huawei B818-263 (4G router)

Bsieber
Aspirant

Cannot set up bridge mode with Huawei B818-263 (4G router)

I have just purchased the RBK753 Orbi mesh system and thought I would reach out for community support before I become one the briefest owners of the system.

I have moved to an area where 4G coverage allows a much faster connection than FTTP so I am currently using a Huawei B818-263 router with a Three UK SIM.

The property is large with an outbuilding office so I am need of a reliable mesh solution. I picked the Orbi but it appears I cannot use it with my router.

I have heard of issues with “double NAT” and my limited understanding is it is a problem caused by both the 4G router and Orbi assigning an IP address to devices connecting to the network. The way to fix this issue is to put the router into “bridge mode” which I understand means it connects to the Orbi via Ethernet and then all networked devices are managed by the Orbi mesh and IP addresses etc are assigned from there.

I have struggled to find any detailed information on how people achieve this and my router doesn’t simply have a setting for “bridge mode”. Instead I have tried turning off DHCP server and WiFi, connecting the router via Ethernet and then setting up home network via the Orbi.

The problem is it doesn’t work and my understanding is too limited for me to be able to troubleshoot. I have no documentation or manuals to refer to either.

Is there a setting I need to apply on the Orbi for it to pick up the bridged router? Or perhaps another setting on the bridged router? Can I forget about bridge mode and just connect the two together without turning off DHCP but still connect every device in the home network to the Orbi hardware? In this case I would at least turn off the WiFi network built into the 4G router and connect a number of wired devices through a series of switched physically connected to the Orbi Router and Satellites.

Is it an issue with the Orbi which meant if I traded in and switched to a different hardware option I could probably find something that will achieve a bridge mode connection?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cannot set up bridge mode with Huawei B818-263 (4G router)

Yes, there are specific situations which having two routers (a "Double NAT") can be a serious problem, such as

• Setting up OpenVPN to log onto the local network from the internet.
  • Forwarding ports to share servers on the internet
  • Playing certain internet games

Search for "Double NAT" for more specifics.  Users who do not need those specific activities are (literally) unaware that a Double NAT exists and notice nothing.

There are several methods for eliminating a Double NAT, including:

• Putting the Orbi system into Access Point (AP) mode, where the ISP modem/router assigns IP addresses to all devices in the network.  This has the side-effect of disabling all "router functions" of the Orbi,, such as Armor, Parental Controls, Port Forwarding, OpenVPN, etc.  If those functions exist on the ISP device, then "who cares".
  • Putting the ISP device into "bridge mode" and having the Orbi be the only router.
  • Creating a DMZ on the ISP device that points to the Orbi's IP address.

In all of those cases, most people would opt to disable the WiFi on the ISP device in order to reduce interference.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. Yes, every brand/model of home WiFi router acts exactly the same.  Enabling Bridge Mode on the ISP device has nothing to do with what router is connected to it.

Message 3 of 5
Bsieber
Aspirant

Thank you for replying so quickly. I may have an occasional need to use OpenVPN so might want to look at Bridge mode. Are there any detailed step-by-step guides on how I can set this up successfully?
Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The issue is that Bridge Mode refers to the Huawei, not the Orbi.  My first step would be go go through every page of the Huawei administration settings to see what options there are. (sounds like you already found ways to manage DHCP and WiFi on/off)  The stupid user manual I found on-line is worthless. https://www.manua.ls/huawei/b818-263/manual?p=16 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7