Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Changing ISP from AT&T Fiber to Spectrum Fiber

CWafflesTX
Aspirant

Changing ISP from AT&T Fiber to Spectrum Fiber

I have a Netgear RBR853 mesh system that I've been using with our AT&T fiber internet and their BGW320 gateway for the last 6 years or so.  I'm switching to Spectrum Fiber using their Spectrum ONU (SONU) Modem (SONUV1S).

My question is do I need to factory reset the entire RBR853 mesh system before switching it from AT&T to Spectrum?  I like all of the settings I have for the RBR853 (and yes I can just copy them down to make sure I get it all set back up correctly) so would like to avoid factory resetting if I can as the router does everything I want it do to now and is configured how I want it.  The only real difference is the router will be getting a different IP address since I'm changing providers.  Any configuration I did to get the RBR853 to work well with AT&T's still was all on the BGW320 (setting it to passthrough, etc) so in my head just changing providers should not necessitate the need to factory reset the RBR853

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

There should be no reason to perform a Factory Reset on the router.

After setting up the Spectrum device, connect the Orbi router and power it up.

The Spectrum SONUV1S is "only a modem" (with voice capability).  It is already in the equivalent of passthrough mode.

It is always prudent to save a backup of the Orbi configuration before any major adventure.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There should be no reason to perform a Factory Reset on the router.

After setting up the Spectrum device, connect the Orbi router and power it up.

The Spectrum SONUV1S is "only a modem" (with voice capability).  It is already in the equivalent of passthrough mode.

It is always prudent to save a backup of the Orbi configuration before any major adventure.

Message 2 of 4
CWafflesTX
Aspirant

Thank you. I’ve got a backup from a couple of days ago already and am on the latest firmware. Guess I just wanted to make sure there were no gotchas I had to worry about. It’s been a while but I remember changing so many settings on the AT&T BGW320 when I first got it just to get it to play nice with the Orbi. I appreciate the info.
Message 3 of 4
Phyber
Luminary

Just create a backup of your current settings as mentioned. Connect to the Spectrum and then reinstall your settings, if need be, from the backup file. You may have to change some ISP-specific settings if they don't load once connected to Spectrum but that should be all.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series