Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect Orbi Wifi 6 router to my LAN switch

bobbyg808
Aspirant

Connect Orbi Wifi 6 router to my LAN switch

I am planning to soon purchase an Wiifi 6 mesh system (RBK852) to cover a 4,500 sqft home.  The question I have is how do I connect this system given my existing configuration:

Configuration in Garage: Xfinity Gigabit Service ---> Arris S33 Cable Modem 2Gbps port ---> LAN Switch
Home: LAN ports that are wired to the LAN switch in the garage.

I ultimately want the router to use DHCP to assign IP addresses to both wifi-conencted devices as well as devices that are physically connected to LAN ports in the house.

Can I simply connect the Orbi router to a LAN switch in the house?  Or do I need to connect the Orbi router directly to the modem in the garage and then connect the LAN switch directly to the Orbi router? 

If a connection directly to my modem is required then would force me to place the Orbi router in the garage, which is not ideal as I believe wifi coverage would be impacted.  

Thanks in advance for your guidance.  

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect Orbi Wifi 6 router to my LAN switch

Recommended configuration would be:

Xfinity Gigabit Service ---> Arris S33 Cable Modem 2Gbps port --->Orbi RBR 2Gb WAN Port>< LAN Switch Connected to one of the RBRs LAN ports<Then items connected to the LAN switch.

Message 2 of 4
bobbyg808
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 so given that the Xfinity Gigabit Service ---> Arris S33 Cable Modem 2Gbps port connection is in my garage, I am assuming that I would need to place the Orbi unit also in the garage so I can make the direct connection from the cable modem to the WAN port without going to the switch?  I could then connect the LAN port of the Orbi to the switch in the garage so I also have wired internet to all my ports in the home.

Given that requirement, I wonder if I need to purchase the $999 model that includes two satellites so I have ample wifi coverage in the home.  I can surely try the $699 router + one satellite option first, but given that the router will now be in the garage, placing a single satellite in the upstairs of a 4500 SQFT home may not give me the coverage I need.  I may be underestimating how well the Orbi router in the garage could reaching into the home.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the switch, in between the modem and RBR, however it would need to be the only device connected to this switch connected to the modem. You would need to get another and place its connection after the RBR then connect your house hold LAN devices to this 2nd switch. However in this configuration, you'll not connect the RBR at 2.5Gb on the WAN side if the in between swich is rated at 1Gb on its ports. 

Arris S33 Cable Modem 2Gbps>Lan Switch<Only the RBR connected to this swtich>2nd LAN Switch connected behind the RBR<>House hold LAN devices connected to the 2nd Switch. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7